Carbon boot weight?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Carbon boot weight?

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 pm

I guess there are more impt things in boots than weight.

I'd think that especially w classic that lightweight is impt. It's a quick tempo sport. Oh, but I'm neglecting doublepoling! Ha. It might be that for half the classic races in the USA that striding is less than 25% of the race. OK, so forget it for racing.

But for real skiing, the kind that lots of ppl actually LIKE, we'll be striding. Same for if you're skiing a quality or real ski trail. ...It won't be flat. You'll be striding.

...In which case, boot weight seems important.

Fast classic skiing of the REAL variety means fast tempo and quick footwork. I'd think that the relevance of boot weight would add up as the hours go by. Like for a marathon. Heck, sometimes on our best outings we're out there from dark to dark. Weight matters.

I've recently picked up a few pairs of secondhand classic race boots in the mid-range of quality. They range about 14 oz per boot. My 1990 Rossi top-shelf race boots, however, are only 12 oz a boot.

I figured that today's CARBON boots would give both awesome stiffness in the right places AND featherweight -- just as with bike parts. And bike shoes. But no. It looks like the S-Lab and Red type boots are all weighing about a pound apiece. Oh well!

I guess you're paying for something other than lightweight.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Carbon boot weight?

Postby Neuro » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 am

Without having weighed them, I believe my Rossignol X-IUM WC Classic Boots are very light, but the price has been not-so-nice-fit and a toe cap that's somehow gotten misaligned. The Fischer and Alpine's I've looked at in the shop seem much more sturdy and detailed so I guess you're right it's not all about weight.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:55 am

bike shoes are nuts for weight, incl mtbiking. ...i recall one pair 189 grams. they're also nuts for price. it just doesn't matter at the top shelf. but in biking the tech trickles down nicely.

...i can't even find a weight for the Alpina ECK Summer Roller Ski boots.

can't find weight.

hmmm.

(reminds me of how i couldn't find maker MPG ratings for motorcycles. just a non issue to the US fantasy market. but totally relevant for real world ppl who are about efficiency. it was also funny how aerodynamic gains in motos were only translated into HIGHER TOP SPEED! vrrooom! "now 250mph!" ...what a market)

but these boots might be our baseline for lightest?

Repetitive motion MUST be weight critical.

So we take a 200 gram bike shoe then add more sole and a thicker outer skin and we have our classic race boot. ...Lightest I'm finding are about 450 gr.

...My 1990 Rossi race boots again are 350 gr and are still hanging in there and did about 50 races. so they're well made.
Jeff Potter

Triarii
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Triarii » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 am

If you are thinking about the Alpina ECL summer, they are around 295g for a size 42.

A hypothetical Gignoux classic boot would probably be a fair bit lighter.
Making a lightweight bike shoe is a simpler engineering challenge since the sole should be as stiff as possible.
Designing a classic boot which should be stiff in torsion but soft in bending while providing the correct "feel" is hard and not easily solved by throwing carbon fiber on them.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:32 am

Gignoux. ...cool! ...Genau!

So they make a skating boot -- stiff sole.

I'd probably be OK w a rollerski boot for warmer-temp weather classic ski racing. My old Rossi boots have that minimalist look -- most race boots did back then. low, under ankle bone. no zip-over. I suppose the mesh would be a bit airy. Maybe paint over it.
Jeff Potter

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”