skin skis

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

kempah
xcskiforum 10K

skin skis

Postby kempah » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 am

I am in the market for skin skis for those difficult to wax for warm conditions. I favour Fischer ski and have Fischer skate and waxable skis that I like.
I am looking at the twin skin race IFP ski. I am 5'2" and weigh about 107lb (48.5kg) in gym clothes but in ski clothes with a small daypack could be up to 53kg. When I enter my information into the Fisher site (as an intermediate skier) they recommend either the 187 or 192 cm size. By changing the weight I enter I found that the Fisher range for the 187 cm is 45-54 kg and for the 192 cm is 50-59 kg. I have spoken to two retailers and one tells me the 187 is too soft and I should buy 192. The other tells me the 187 is much too stiff and I should look at a different model. I am very sceptical of the second store's opinion. My inclination is to think that the 187 cm skis would be right for me. I know that individual pairs can vary but surely not that much. My wax skis are 187 carbon, the version before they started selling them with binding plates, and I am happy with them. I only got such a high end ski because they were on sale at a great price. I think I would prefer not to go any longer, especially since I'm told skin skis don't turn as easily as waxable skis. Any advice would be welcome.

Neuro
World Cup

Re: skin skis

Postby Neuro » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:56 am

With skin ski I would say it's especially important to get the ski measured exactly for you, so best to find a good shop and pay the extra. I say that after having had to sell a pair that was measured for me, but where I told them wrongly it was for training when in fact I like to 'walk' just as much as 'running' which meant I got a slightly too stiff pair.

With the following pair, I went for a softer type and is what I recommend you too as the glide is good even if the skin should drag, and what you want is max grip.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”