Gignoux Carbon Ski Boots

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Gignoux Carbon Ski Boots

Postby trotro » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:20 am

I've been seeing a few references to Gignoux Carbon Fibre skating boots recently. Gignoux are better known for ski mountaineering gear and I'd heard nothing of cross country gear. Anyway I got have a look at them at the weekend so they do exist. Gignoux collaborated with Salomon during the 2011-2013 seasons to produce boots for the world cup racers - these eventually morphed into the S/Lab range.

The Gignoux boots are much lighter, around 350 grammes and very very stiff. The inner boot is removable, which seems like a good idea. I wonder how stiff a boot needs to be?

gignoux1.jpg
gignoux1.jpg (130.06 KiB) Viewed 595 times

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Gignoux Carbon Ski Boots

Postby dcpattie » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Cool. These must cost >$1,000.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:50 am

Looks very cool and extreme but also slightly uncomfortable being so minimalistic.

I got Rossignol X-IUM WC Classic racing boot for their light weight, but after the agony I had to endure before they were 'bent' to my feet means I'm skeptical to the ultra-lightweight stuff now.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 am

I think this ski boot looks both ugly and uncomfortable, almost like a shoe of a medieval armour.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:44 am

It is obviously a bit artisanal, I don't like the look of the hinge and you wonder whether you are not better taking advantage of Salomon's skills with the XLab boots for much less money. They do look better in the flesh compared to my photo. 800 euros is a lot though and I can think of stuff I'd rather spend the money on.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”