Pole length

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Pole length

Post by Pat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:01 pm

My question or asking for advice is --- what is a better strategy for using a slightly longer of shorter pole for classic in this case 145 vs 140 length. I fit right about in the middle with my height for the length. I don't get a lot of time on snow and most of my work is on roller skis, but I do have a 25 k race "on snow" that I have done for the last few years. I had to chuckle when I looked at the results from the last two years and my finishing times were only about 15 seconds different in the two years -- talk about pace management huh?? Anyhow different conditions obviously and just coincidence the times were very close. Having said that, the 1st year I used the 140s and the 2nd year the 145s. The course is mostly flat/rolling terrain. At 5'7", 136 pounds and 62 years old I'm not a powerhouse but I don't stink either. So it boils down to asking those with years of race experience, i.e. you folks, is it better to chuck along at a quicker stride -- which I do with the shorter poles or always better to go with the longer for double poling and DP kick reasons.

OK kind of a long winded question, but thanks and Merry Christmas to you all when it gets here.

Pat

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Pole length

Post by dcpattie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:56 am

If its a calm day go with the longer poles, if its windy then you might want to go with the shorter poles, i.e., anticipating more striding.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Interesting topic. I have nothing to contribute except that you might even consider a length in between those two you mention. I got a pair 5 cm longer as I felt the first pair were too short, but those felt too long and after I cut them 2.5 cm down they felt just right.

Montana
World Cup

Post by Montana » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:50 am

Pat wrote:...what is a better strategy for using a slightly longer of shorter pole for classic in this case 145 vs 140 length. I fit right about in the middle with my height for the length....
Most good ski shops have in stock pole shafts with a basket but the handle is not attached. This allows them to fit poles for people who want a pole length in between the "normal" lengths. It also allows them to keep less stock on hand because they can cut the shaft to any length required by their customer.
40th consecutive Birkie in 2020!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Cutting yourself is not that big of a deal either. Just put the handles in a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes to melt the glue and they should pull off easily. Then cut to desired length with a metal saw, and melt some hot glue to smear around the top and push the handles back. (I use hot glue sticks for glue gun, but since I don't have a glue gun I melt and drip with a lighter)