FrankNski setup for backcountry

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

FrankNski setup for backcountry

Post by dcpattie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Why not the following set-up for backcountry with gentle rolling hills:

A go anywhere ski like Fischer S-bound 125 or Voile Vector BC with an Xcelerator binding with the red flexor to make the boot/binding very stiff (i.e., very little ski drop from boot). This ski would be pared with a modern carbon cuffed skating boot (i.e., Alpina ESK 2.0). I would think this would provide a super lightweight package and offer some control on the downhills.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Sea&Xc
xcskiforum 10K

Re: FrankNski setup for backcountry

Post by Sea&Xc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Even a great skate boot won't drive a wide ski like a Sbound 125. I've used a Carbonlite Pursuit (Combi) on a 68mm tip ski no problem. It's a lighter and better fitting setup than a NNN BC. You may be able to get away with a 78mm tip ski. Maybe E89 with a NNN skate binding.

If you've never classic skied in a skate boot, try it. My foot cramps up due to the rigid sole and I want the ball of my foot on the ski to kick.

Sbound 125 needs a plastic boot (675 boot can't power it). Also I would be surprised if the binding would hold as well.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Post by dcpattie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks for that. I was also thinking a combi/skiathlon boot would be better.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Post by JeffOYB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:46 pm

combi boots are the most awesome development in XC.

they create a big part of the 'mt bike of skis' -- huge control and stability on ungroomed trail.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Raubie
xcskiforum 40K

Post by Raubie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:30 pm

JeffOYB wrote:combi boots are the most awesome development in XC.

they create a big part of the 'mt bike of skis' -- huge control and stability on ungroomed trail.
Jack of all, master of none perhaps, but I love my ProCombis, too. Even with SLABs and RC Carbons on hand, I use my 'combos' a lot while classic skiing so that I can skate as much as possible. More ankle support when going 'off piste,' too.

Though there are limits to 'off piste', ahem...

Jim Kelley http://crust.outlookalaska.com/Gear/had a similar issue with same generation as these, but he still uses them. Fortunately, the newer generations are built much better.