pilot skate binding spring?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

makerr
xcskiforum 10K

pilot skate binding spring?

Postby makerr » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm

I recently bought a used pair of skate skis with a pretty much new pair of Salomon RS skate bindings attached. I've noticed that (only on my right side) after I've pushed off on my right side that the tip of the ski dips slightly to catch the snow as it returns and I begin my weight shift over to the glide ski. These skis have a slightly softer tip and also a noticeable stronger return spring. I've not experienced this problem with my other(older) pilot bindings and am wondering if it's the stiff binding or possibly the newer gear revealing a flaw in my technique. Any thoughts?
Thanks

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Re: pilot skate binding spring?

Postby TooHeavy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:00 am

If the spring works it is your technique that is off.

makerr
xcskiforum 10K

Postby makerr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

The springs work on both the new and older pilot bindings. I haven't had a problem with the tip of the ski dipping before I got these new skis, which leads me to believe that there is something about the new ski/binding combination that is causing the issue. The older bindings are a little less stiff than the new binding.

Sea&Xc
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Sea&Xc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Have you switched skis? If the problem moves to the other side then it could be mounted wrong. If you the problem stays on the right side then it's technique.

Skis could be mounted a bit behind balance which would make it more likely to drag a tip but create a faster gliding ski. Most people are stronger on one side but don't really notice.

Are the skis longer than your previous pair? How does the flex compare?

In any case, you can adapt and will just have to lift your toe a bit more.

makerr
xcskiforum 10K

Postby makerr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Yes , it doesn't matter if I switch skis, and the bindings are mounted correctly on both skis. The tips of the new skis are a little softer, and I agree with you that I'll just have to give a bit more thought to picking up my ski a little differently until it becomes second nature. Thanks for the input.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”