Swix Quantum Three Poles cracked with cork grips

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Mjdonthetrail
xcskiforum 10K

Swix Quantum Three Poles cracked with cork grips

Post by Mjdonthetrail » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm pleased to be joining this great forum!
A few days ago I purchased some quite high end poles, and for a great price. I was told that a longer pole would have to be cut down because they did not have my specific length in stock. I returned the next day to pickup and was quite pleased with the purchase on the first day out. After some hard double poling, I noticed the handles seemed quite flexible and a crack was forming in the cork.

I have a pair of swix CT2 with a longer grip style which is not nearly as flexible. How deep is the hole in the grip? Was the pole cut too short and not installed far enough into the grip? It seems of little use to have a very stiff 100% carbon shaft with the last bit of the handle a thin hollow plastic tube. Let me know what you think. I'll likely be returning these when the store opens tomorrow.
Mike
Attachments
IMG_20190218_155521.jpg
swix quantum 3
IMG_20190218_155521.jpg (136.42 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Swix Quantum Three Poles cracked with cork grips

Post by Blah » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Looks like the grip wasn't fully mounted on the pole

Sea&Xc
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Swix Quantum Three Poles cracked with cork grips

Post by Sea&Xc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:02 pm

If you are close to the shop that cut them, I'd bring it back since they reinstalled the grips wrong.

The grips are installed w hot glue, you need to heat up the poles/grips to soften and remove the grips. Use a heat gun or use hot water (submerge the grips, carefully due to your crack).

There is normally a plastic core under the cork. If that is cracked too it may be okay if you can insert the shaft completely to support the upper grip and add some extra glue.