Skis sticking when pulling a pulk

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

BigEdgar
xcskiforum 10K

Skis sticking when pulling a pulk

Postby BigEdgar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi,

I've been having some trouble with my skis recently and was hoping for some help figuring out a fix. I have been XC skiing since I was a kid, but just once or twice per year. I'd rate my skills as intermediate - I can stride just fine, but don't get out enough to be skilled at doing things like going downhill : )

I have a pair of Rossignol Evo Glade skis (waxless) that I've had for 1+ years, and in general they work fine for what I do. However, when I pull my kids in a pulk on groomed trails, my skis tend to stick instead of glide.

I assume this is because the pulk harness around my waist adds a little downward pressure on my skis, which in turn make me heavier than without the pulk. And as a result, I think the teeth on the bottom of the skis dig in during the glide. This doesn't happen when I'm not towing a pulk (I can glide smoothly with no pulk). And I've used a few different pulks and pulled both 1 and 2 kids - the type of pulk or qty of kids I'm towing doesn't seem to make a difference, it sticks whenever I'm pulling any pulk with any kid in it.

Does my assumption that the pulk is adding extra weight and causing the skis to not "pop up" during the glide sound like a plausible explanation? And if so, does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? Wax?

Thanks for any thoughts.

- Big Edgar

Alpinord
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Alpinord » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 pm

I've been hauling a loaded sled with patterned skis and have the opposite problem on climbs due to too much glide. Are your bases clean and have you applied glide wax?
Best regards, Terry, SlideWright
Active Life Tools and Wares

Waxing and base prep blog

BigEdgar
xcskiforum 10K

Postby BigEdgar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 pm

I went to REI today to ask them about what might be the problem, and they said the following:

My skis are beginner skis, thus they have relatively little camber and won't pop up very much, and they also have pretty aggressive grips on the underside of the skis (good for climbing, which I guess is good for beginners).

I was told that skis for more advanced users would have more camber and less aggressive grips.

So it could be that you have more advanced skis, and that's why your climbing isn't stellar (I have to admit that I feel like my skis climb pretty well - sounds like that's the tradeoff).

My skis are waxless, so you're not supposed to have to wax them, but it can't hurt. My bases are clean. I did get some ski glide (the lady at REI recommended that I apply some to my skis as well as to the underside of the pulk, she also said that it probably wouldn't solve my problem - more appropriate skis would).

Hopefully I'll get out this weekend and can test out the setup with the ski glide.

Alpinord
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Alpinord » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:50 pm

FTR, 'waxless' is a misnomer. It's used to differentiate between classic skis that use grip wax for the kick versus the 'scales' or patterned bases which don't require grip wax (though some may help me). Patterned base skis can still benefit using glide waxes for improved glide and to reduce or minimize icing/snow clumping in the grip zone.
Best regards, Terry, SlideWright

Active Life Tools and Wares

Waxing and base prep blog

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:23 am

Was it a really really cold day with temperatures around 0F? That will make your waxless skis stick. I have "race" waxless skis and they will stick when it's 0F or below.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”