Ski choices for big guy?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Clydesdale
xcskiforum 10K

Ski choices for big guy?

Postby Clydesdale » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Greetings all, just found the site and thought I would ask for some help. I have been skiing 2 years in the midwest on my own at the local trail (semi-groomed wilderness area) for exercise. I'm on 210cm Atomic t6 that seem to work ok but may be a little light for my weight. I got them at the local shop and have also considered trying some skate skis, or a pair of waxable skis. The local golf course grooms a trail that some skate on and there are several lakes nearby where people have skate trails also.

I'm 6'2" - 230 lbs, pretty active and wondering if anyone could make some suggestions as to particular skis that might work. I don't see racing in my future but I do like to go as hard as I can.

Is it just the length that matters? Or do they make some skis stiffer than others? The shop told me mine would work for 180lbs and up, but I'm a long way "up" from 180. Don't mind going back there as I know them, but would like to be as educated as possible in order to make good decisions.

Anyway, if someone could post or link a good explanation of skis vs weight, it would be appreciated.

Thanks - great site.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Yep, some skis are certainly stiffer than others given their length. A good ski shop should at least have a dial gauge on hand for comparing the flex of different skis. I'll leave the discussion of more vs. less flex up to somebody more knowledgeable than me, but I can offer this-

Last winter when I weighed in at 260 lbs, my shop sized me up with a pair of Rossignol Zynex skate skis. I'll have to double check the size, but I'm almost positive they're the longest ones they make. I weighed in just under 210 before my 25K race last weekend, and those same skis are still working great for me. I can however, start to feel what I assume might be a little excessive stiffness in very soft snow. Maybe if I drop a few more pounds by next winter I'll get something with some more flex and see how they feel.

Nordicnorm
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Nordicnorm » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm 6'1" and 220 and skate on Atomics RS 11...pretty sure they are the on the stiff side as they seem just fine in the hardpack. I have an older pair of Atomic RS 10s that are softer and they are very unstable when it gets real firm.I classic on Rossignal C2, they are new but so far great kick and good glide. I know it sounds old hat but a good shop is worth the effort and costs. If you don't have one close by let me know and I'll give you the name of several that do mail order and internet based and work at fitting you right.

Askel, man that is impressive and motivating. Do you mind sharing how you did it. I think I'd enjoy this sport and biking a lot more at 200 but I can't seem to budge it since I got into my 50's.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:59 pm

You will find that in the 200 + pound range, that there are skis out there that will fit, you just may need to hunt for them.

I was sized for a pair of Rossi Deltas this last fall--not my first choice of brand, but they were stiff enough for my weight (215 lbs). The conventional wisdom is that Rossis and Fischers tend to run a little on the stiff side, although YMMV--I have a pair of classic Atomics that work beautifully, and fit me well when I weighed 225.

btw....I've been very happy with the Rossi's--a fast, light, and very stable ski. As has been already been said, work with a good shop, they will do what it takes to get you on the right skis......

snowhunter
xcskiforum 20K

Postby snowhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 pm

I ran across this recent article, from the Atomic Team Director:

ROMAN TOFERER: You know for many years we thought all skating skis should be the same percentage body weight for all skiers. So if a 75 kilo guy has a ski that is 90% his body weight then a 95 kilo guy should also have a ski that is 90% his body weight, but Biathlon taught us this is not true. A ski can reach a maximum stiffness and then it has diminishing returns on the snow. We learn from working with the Biathlon technicians that we should put the 95 kilo guy on the same ski as the 75 kilo guy and it work better for that big guy than a super stiff ski.
(Article talking about all the reasearch Atomic does with the resources of military associated biathon teams in Europe)

Just another bit of information to equate into the formula...

Camilo
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Camilo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:05 pm

No particular brand of model of ski will suit your purposes better than any other. You simply need to go to a shop or shops and find a competent person to fit you on to a ski.* The only difference your size makes is that you might have to look around a little more. On the other hand, I'm only 5-8, 165 and I will tell you not every shop has skis that will fit me, just depends on their current stock.

*Please note that finding a competent fitter is not always easy. There are MANY ski shop sales people who aren't.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:19 pm

I'm 6'0" and 215 pounds. I asked Bert Kleerup one fall to find a pair of Fischer RCS Classic skis for me to use on hard track. Took him a year. It wasn't until the next fall that his ski order had some stiff enough for me. Be patient, keep trying different shops eventually you will find a ski with your name on it. :lol:
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:16 am

Nordicnorm wrote:Askel, man that is impressive and motivating. Do you mind sharing how you did it. I think I'd enjoy this sport and biking a lot more at 200 but I can't seem to budge it since I got into my 50's.

Basically, I religiously count calories (currently using fitday.com), avoid junk food, and ski and bike as much as possible.

But don't worry, you're not alone. My dad also complains about how tough weight loss is in his fifties as well. :-)

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”