Swix Base layers

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

ChrisM
xcskiforum 20K

Swix Base layers

Postby ChrisM » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Anyone have experience with Swix longsleeve tops? I've have good luck with Craft and Adidas which are long and snug fitting in the torso unlike most of what you find for hunting and general outdoor use.

Eagle River Nordic has some good deals right now:

http://www.ernordic.com/merchant/mercha ... ry_Code=82

Camilo
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Camilo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Chris: don't get hung up on name brands. In my (fairly extensive) experience, synthetic underwear (AKA base layers) are commodity items. I buy almost all of my stuff on the seconds rack or whatever is on sale. I wear this stuff skiing 4-5 times per week in the winter and I literally could not tell you what brand it is. I take that back... I have two sporthill tops that have a ski club logo on them. They are OK, but frankly, I don't like the cut of them nearly as much as some other tips I have (zipper neck), which cost 1/5 as much.

I look at the material - how it feels, but most importantly, how it's cut, since it all feels comfortable to me. To me that means are the sleeves and torso long enough. I've had name brand stuff that was surprisingly too short. I've had el-cheapo stuff that was very comfortable and cut long enough. There is absolutely no need to pay premium prices for long underwear, and no need to look at any name brand.

As a related opinion - there is no such thing as underwear (AKA base layers) that is skiing spefic. I use my generic stuff for everything from skiing to hiking to running to cycling, etc.

I know this doesn't answer your question, just my personal rant 8-). I have pretty much the same opinion on acrylic pile outerwear as well.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”