New XC skier... looking for decent skis at a good price

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Luv2Ski
xcskiforum 10K

New XC skier... looking for decent skis at a good price

Postby Luv2Ski » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 pm

I've been an alpine skier for 20+ years and last winter my husband bought me a pair of skate skies to try... we quickly learned that it's a great workout and a nice way to mix up our weekends/ski days by alpine skiing in the moring and skate skiing in the afternoon.

However, there are times/days that I would like a little less of a workout so I'm looking (for a good deal) to purchase a pair of classic XC skis. I've found a few packages that are great deals, but I'm not familiar with the brands... any feedback/input on
Peltonen Hawk
or
Asnes Eclipse skis?
OR should I just bite the bullet and buy a pair of Fischer Superlights?

Here's a little background info on me, in case it helps in responding... I'm 5'4" and 120-125lbs. I mostly ski diamonds (sometimes double diamonds) when I'm downhill skiing & I've taken to skate skiing fairly quickly (I'm not great, but I'm OK)... I have a little background of in-line skating. I'm not looking for super performance in the XC skis, just some decent skis for a change up in activities.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Krista

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Krista,

The best thing to do, would be to have someone who knows nordic ski fitting verify that the skis are the correct camber for your weight. If they both fit, take the pair that is in the best condition. Fit is especially important in a wax less ski.

Traditionally, both Peltonen, and Asnes make very good skis. Either one should be just fine if they fit.

On the other hand....the Superlights are a pretty nice ski too ;)

hth,

Eric

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”