Ski Flex Questions

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:40 am

Here's what I learned last night from Brian at Gearwest. I brought in my Peltonen skate skis, 188 medium, and he had them evaluated. They were soft. Apparently I could compress the ski all the way under my heel. No wonder they were unstable! Instead of skating on a long tip and tail, or a long wheelbase, I was skating on a short wheelbase. Uh, highly maneuvrable I guess. :) No wonder I couldn't ski on hardpack.

So anyway I ended up walking out with a pair of new Salomons flexed at 120%. Haven't skied them yet, I'm looking forward to it tonight.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Re: Ski Flex Questions

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:19 am

bump... :)

So... It looks like modern Fischer RCS skate skis for a 180 lb skier would be 192 and a stiff flex. ...But a shop should ideally be able to sell our 180 lb skier a "stiff stiff" for hardpack as well as a "soft stiff" for soft deep conditions. Is that correct? ...He needs stiff for his weight but he needs other changes for the snow conditions. ?

Or is it simpler than that? Maybe to get a ski for soft conditions our heavier skier just gets a ski flexed for a lighter person?

However, I'd tend to think that snow condition flex differences are handled largely in the TIP and TAIL zones, while the basic "supportive" flex would be a somewhat consistent amount under foot to deal w the skier's weight. ?? (Altho I could see a soft snow rocketship being a bit softer under foot as well.)
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”