New BC skis?

Blazing your own trails

Moderator: Moderator Group

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

New BC skis?

Postby worm-rider » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm

I have a pair of Rossi BC90's that I haven't been too thrilled with. I'm thinking about replacing them with Alpina Lite Terrains or Fischer Sbound 98. My local shop has good prices on both right now. Does anybody out there have experience with either?

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Re: New BC skis?

Postby Raubie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Either waxless ski is going to give you better flotation (especially the Alpina Lite Terrains at 102/64/87), but they likely won't glide as well as your narrower BC90 (88/60/78). The Fischer SBounds (98/69/88) are lively, carve nice on crud (on a 75mm setup) and have a solid backcountry rep. They're a rockered ski (reverse camber). No experience with the wider-shovelled/sidecut Alpinas (looking at the specs, the Alpina's are at least 10cms shorter vs. the Fischers by skier weight, suggesting more of a powder ski, with the Fischer's the more versatile of the two).

I read favourable reviews of the Alpina's on Telemarktalk.com, and you'll probably find reviews of those Fischer's as well.

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Postby worm-rider » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks for the info - I may just flip a coin - either is going to suit my purposes a little better than the BC90's. I already have some skinny metal - edged skis for in - and out - of track skiing.

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Postby worm-rider » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 am

I ended up with the Fischer 98's with 3 pin cables. Definitely slower than the Rossi's, but so much better climbing and very easy to turn on the downhills, even for me, a tele-beginner. A skinnier ski would definitely be more efficient for general off track touring, but these will be what I'll be using for the mountains.

Also, for anyone considering the BC90, you should know that the advertised width is wrong - it is actually about 70 underfoot, not 60. The ski itself has 68 printed on it, so I don't know why rossi and retailers keep saying it's 60.

Return to “Touring / Backcountry”