Asnes USGI Surplus Skis

Blazing your own trails

Moderator: Moderator Group

pcfithian
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Asnes USGI Surplus Skis

Postby pcfithian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:27 pm

This link has this to say about Asnes USGI skis: "The Asnes ski is a double camber ski"

http://books.google.com/books?id=KRexAA ... ki&f=false

montrealer
xcskiforum 10K

Postby montrealer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Nice find!

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:09 am

The differing measurements are intriguing, I'm wondering if the USG may have ordered a customized version, because those skis are definitely not NATO planks. They look exactly like the Combat including the logo and the hole in the tip and the shape and finish of the skis are way above the NATO plank.

pcfithian
xcskiforum 10K

Postby pcfithian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:00 am

It is likely that the US Military developed a specification and sent RFQ's out to several ski manufacturers. The ones that responded would have then sent prototypes for evaluation trials.

After these evaluations, a contract would have been let for production.

From what you can find on the web, it looks like both Karhu and Asnes received contracts to produce skis. There is a seller on eBay that has 1,500 pairs of Karhus for sale, see http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-Pairs-Karh ... 19b9badb15

Regarding the Asnes skis available from Coleman's, there are posts on the web as early as 2005 that mention these: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=236

So at some point before late 2005, the US Military decided to get rid of their skis and put them out for bid to the surplus market. Both the seller in Chattanooga with the Karhus and Coleman's with the Asnes must have acquired a lot of skis. For Coleman's to be still selling these skis after almost 9 years is interesting.

pcfithian
xcskiforum 10K

Postby pcfithian » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:00 pm

I measured the camber on the 190 and 210 cm Asnes USGI skis, see attached.
Asnes USGI 190 Camber 2.jpg
Asnes USGI 190 Camber 2.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 4556 times

Asnes USGI 210 Camber.jpg
Asnes USGI 210 Camber.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 4556 times

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 pm

pcfithian wrote:I measured the camber on the 190 and 210 cm Asnes USGI skis, see attached.
Asnes USGI 190 Camber 2.jpg

Asnes USGI 210 Camber.jpg

I'm not quite sure what is gained by this!?
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

montrealer
xcskiforum 10K

Postby montrealer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Anybody have any tips on mounting point for NNN-BC bindings?

I guess the commonly done way on double cambered skis is to mount the bindings such that the metal bar is right above the balance point.

I've also seen it recommended for backcountry skis to mount it 2-3 cm further in front for easier turning, and so that the ball of the foot is closer to being above the balance point.

pcfthian, I saw you mounted 3-pin bindings on your pair. Did you put the same type of binding on your wife's pair?

pcfithian
xcskiforum 10K

Postby pcfithian » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 am

The pair my wife is using have NNN bindings to match her boots. Mounted per the template that came with the bindings, bar on the balance point.

montrealer
xcskiforum 10K

Postby montrealer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:44 pm

I had a chance to try these out and there were things I liked about them, and things I didn't like. For context, I was using them in rolling terrain, going over lakes + swamps as well as climbing and descending in wooded areas.

I liked:
- They're quite stable (and fast) on downhills
- Good glide, mostly due to the length (200 cm)

I didn't like:
- Too heavy (IMO) for use with NNN-BC bindings, especially when turning. I used them with Fischer BCX 6 boots.
- Climbing in deep snow was quite tricky due to the length + weight.

Overall I'm glad I bought them, but I'm going to put a heftier set of bindings on them for better control at some point in the future. Probably 3-pin.

For reference, they weigh 3.68 kg with NNN-BC magnum bindings, or 3.16 kg without.

terryobrien49
xcskiforum 10K

Postby terryobrien49 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Last year I bought two pair of 210 cm Asnes from Coleman's military surplus for $29 plus $30 shipping. This fall I had my local ski shop put 75mm 3-pin backcountry bindings on one pair. I just turned 65, weigh 250 pounds and haven't skied in 30 years. I'd become sedentary, weak, inflexible, achy muscles, easily winded, the whole story. I decided to re-enter life, and for me that meant cross country skiing like I used to in Gatineau Park North of Ottawa Canada when I lived there in my youth. I now live 50 miles South of there in New York state, north of the Adirondacks. I wear Fischer BCX675 boots. I like to think of myself as a 200 lb. man wearing a 50 lb. pack. In my younger years I would pine tar base prep then coat my old wooden skis tip to toe with Swix blue. Colder than blue was too cold for me to be out, warmer than blue was too warm to be skiing. So that's what I did with my Asnes. The temperature must have been high teens (F) at Higley Flow State park. My skis were great though a little slow going downhill. But I could walk up any incline like I was on snowshoes. Another day I coated tip and tail with easy-glide. Again I could kick and glide around my own two acres, lovely glide now, even walk up my mini kiddie incline. Then it warmed up, high 20's I think, fresh swix blue on the kick zone but suddenly I have the slipperiest skis and can only move forward using poles, no kick glide. I was at my neighbor's wagon road acreage nearby and soon had to go back to my van to put on my Fischer S-bound 112 waxless (yes, old-guy OCD has definitely kicked in: skis skis skis). Fortunately I have experienced the beauty of these Asnes army skis when the wax and temperature is right, otherwise I might be discouraged, but now I'd like to learn how to wax. The very term 'klister' seems like I'd be an ant in an ant trap. Does anyone know of a source for NATO 120 bindings I could get for my second pair of army skis? That's what they're pre-drilled for. Forget about buying the Ramer surplus bindings, they are not the ones. Maybe vintage leather and metal bindings? I'm gradually getting stronger and flexible, but even so I'm most inclined to gently rolling farm roads, but I have a nagging yearning to go where there might be ever-more challenging gentle lovely trails, so who knows. I bought the S-Bound's before I learned they were for young dudes leaping out of helicopters on mountain tops. Does anyone have an opinion on s-bound 78 or 88 for my style of skiing? Alpina Discovery? Outback 68? Spider 62? I'm teaching my daughter to ski. She's excited about heading off with me to some of the public wild areas near here. I had her on my too-long Fischer Country Crown skinny skis (my first poorly-chosen skis) and she did great, so I'm thinking of Spider 62 for her accompanying me on my Asnes. Thoughts? I look forward to any advice. Thanks. Terry
Attachments
Terry on Charlies acreage.jpg
Terry on Charlie's 65 acres. The Asnes are white, just like the snow. See?
Terry on Charlies acreage.jpg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
skis2.jpg
Asnes with Fischer BCX6 and Rottefella 75mm
skis2.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
skis1.jpg
Asnes with Fischer BCX675 and Rottefella 75mm
skis1.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 4475 times

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Terry, great story, thanks :)

Klister is for ice and snow that is so old and transformed that it looks like tiny glass beads. It has other uses too in combination with waxes, but don't worry about that for now.

I think you should get some warmer waxes, like Swix V40, 45, 50. V40 "blue extra" has an enormous temperature range from very cold to about -3 C. When that becomes slippery, you can just add a layer of V45. When the snow is going from cold to moist around 0, V50 is good. For even warmer conditions I like the VR waxes, VR65 is great on fresh, moist to wet snow. You just have to experiment and figure out what works when.

Add a layer of your coldest wax or preferably binder first, then a thin layer or two of V30 or 40, then a couple of layers of the wax of the day. Cork for a few seconds in between the layers. You can get a little extra grip by adding a couple of layers of V30 or V40 just 6 to 10 inches long at the front of the binding where the ski is usually highest. Wax a little cold first, then you can adjust with progressively warmer ones if it is too slippery. To go the other way you have to scrape all the wax away and start over.

As you have found out, waxing the whole ski destroys your glide. Try about 50-60 cm (about two feet) from the middle of the heel towards the tip. If that is slippery even when the wax should work, extend the waxing zone forwards until it sticks. Wax behind the heel destroys glide faster than it produces traction.
Last edited by osloskier on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

montrealer
xcskiforum 10K

Postby montrealer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 pm

terryobrien49 wrote: Does anyone have an opinion on s-bound 78 or 88 for my style of skiing? Alpina Discovery? Outback 68? Spider 62? I'm teaching my daughter to ski. She's excited about heading off with me to some of the public wild areas near here. I had her on my too-long Fischer Country Crown skinny skis (my first poorly-chosen skis) and she did great, so I'm thinking of Spider 62 for her accompanying me on my Asnes. Thoughts? I look forward to any advice. Thanks. Terry

I've ordered a pair of Madshus Eons but have yet to try them so I can't comment.

You may be interested in these good deals I noticed:

Madshus Voss (60-50-55)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madshus-Voss-MG ... 338b7c2dc7

Madshus Glittertind (68-55-62)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madshus-Glitter ... 338b7cc6ee

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:52 am

Yeah, great story, Terry!

Oslo: about not waxing behind the heel: are you talking about groomed trails or soft homemade trails? For soft trails I always wax some behind the heel. The whole track often squishes down a bit when skiing homestyle so I'd think the waxzone would be different. Whattaya think? I don't know the official policy on homestyle waxing vs. groomed waxing. Ski do seem to behave differently. And while most skiers in the US are skiing homestyle trails I suspect wax-zone and even technique info is given based on groomed trails. Seems like a disconnect to me. Unless the policy is the same in both places?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 pm

The standard advice is to extend the wax zone forwards. Your weight shifts forwards during the kick, so wax behind the heel sees relatively little pressure during the kick and high pressure during the glide when much of your weight is on the heel. Also, if you extend the waxing zone too much rearwards, you risk the wax smearing out onto your rear glide zone. The glide zone is slick, so the wax will quickly spread rearwards once it gets onto it. In the front, the snow will hit the glide zone first, and excessive wax will smear rearwards into the kick zone and stop there, where it will not do any damage.

I don’t know much about waxing for BC or homestyle trails, but I often ski such a trail for about 2 km before I get to a particular groomed one. This is with stiff racing skis usually with three or four layers of wax, in the pocket only. This trail first crosses a frozen lake, then goes through forest. In fresh snow you have to ski in slow motion. Not because the wax doesn't grip, but because a hard kick will simply tear off a big lump of the soft snow, it isn't strong enough to withstand a normal kick. Too deep and you just have to wade through, no glide, no technique. Through the forest, the trail is rather bumpy. Homestyle trails follow the terrain much more closely than groomed ones. There I have to time my kicks so I hit the tops, any attempt to push off over a dip is doomed to failure. My experience is that both soft and hard homestyle trails can be skied with pretty good technique and standard waxing as long as they are reasonably even, but bumpy trails are difficult, at least with stiffer skis.

Experimentation is always good, so I would definitely try extending the waxing zone forwards instead to see how that works in comparison :)

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:40 pm

I'll try going more forward.

I suppose I reflexively try to "protect" my forward glide wax as it's where it seems most glide happens. But may well not be true.

Another aspect is when I do a flex test on my tour skis the kickzone does end up extending behind the heel a couple inches.

I did notice klister and dirt smearing rearward after my last corn-snow outing.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “Touring / Backcountry”