2017 PreLoppet

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

2017 PreLoppet

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 pm

PreLoppet

Ben’s report got me thinking about posting something on the Preloppet. (Nice report on the Sisu Ben.) This was supposed to be the first real test against competition my speed so that I could gauge my fitness. I did a race back around Christmas, but I had one guy for comparison, and he said he was out of shape.

I was playing around all week with demo skis trying to find a pair that’s fast in the cold. (It was a cold week.) I’ve never been happy with my skis in the cold; medium and warm, yes, but not around 0F or below. On the other hand, I’ve never had side-by-side evidence my skis are slow except my results are poor in the cold. So, my test results from this week were quite interesting and of the three demo pairs I tried, one matched my “cold” skis, and two were faster. (One had a fine grind and one had a wet grind.) I raced on the fine grind pair at the race (the other was a warm up pair and pretty slippery). My skis were right on par with others in the race, so I think that’s an improvement.

The wax job was simple: a mix of Swix LF3 and 4. I talked with Zach Handler after the race and he used Start LF08. Matt (winner) was on “Start Green.” The course has been changed a bit and is definitely better. The course used to have a couple of “stupid” little steep climbs. They replaced those with one longer climb, and the new section (maybe 1 km) had brand new snow. Race temp was a few degrees above zero, but the wind wasn’t the normal horrible MN wind. All-in-all, not a bad day to race.

I felt a little guilty lining up front row, but no one wanted to line up next to Matt. That gave me a nice smooth roll out and I probably pushed a bit too hard on the first lap. After climbing the longest climb on the course we hit the new snow section which makes it hard to rest. Half a lap in and I’m gassed.

I didn’t get in a lot of intervals this fall. I was fat (and unhappy), so I spent a few months seriously restricting my calorie intake, and my motivation to work hard was spotty. As a result, the long climb in the race hurt. Multiply it by four, and you have the race. Per got by me on the first climb, and I passed him at the start of lap two. I thought that I had gapped him pretty well, but he ended up pulling me back, and along with him, Kim Rudd. Damn.

So, the analysis. If I base it on Kim Rudd, I’m fat and out of shape. (Sure hope not.) If I base if on Al Hanson, I’m slower than last year, but slightly faster than a couple years ago. I just have to hope I have a lot of room for improvement for Feb. Other than Al, it’s hard to make a comparison. A number of guys are young, and I think the young guys can improve (or slow) drastically year-to-year. So, maybe this weekend at Seeley I’ll get a better feel for my fitness. I think it’s pretty clear that my fitness it right in the range of “normal.”

Jay

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Re: 2017 PreLoppet

Postby bmullin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks for the report Jay.

In case you wanted my rock solid statistical analysis (full sarcasm mode on there if you read the conclusions in my race report)... when I run the PreLoppet through my spreadsheet you slip into last year's Birkie at 2:38:16... 199th Male just 5 seconds ahead of the Elite Wave cutoff.

See you at Seeley this weekend.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Five seconds to spare eh?

I looked up Al's Birkie results. I'm surprised they're not better (based on his 15-25 km speed.) So guys are better short course racers. It's hard to get a feel on speed based on young guys, even guys in their 30s, because someone like Paul Olson keeps getting faster each year. Per Nelson was just behind me, but I didn't get a chance to ask him about his training. He didn't ski with us all fall. That said, it wouldn't surprise me that I'm slow since my hours are definitely down and I didn't get much interval work this fall.

Jay

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:25 pm

So many reasons why my spreadsheet is total bogus. Good 20k speed, always bonk the 50k... Sick that day... Terrible skis... Actually getting faster or slower... Crashed... Had the race of your life...

I gotta do something to keep me thinking about skiing when I'm not training.

Return to “Races and Racing”