Incredible race by Simen Hegstad Krüger

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Incredible race by Simen Hegstad Krüger

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:07 am

The Norwegian skier Simen Hegstad Krüger did a remarkable race when he today won Olympic gold in the 30 km skiathlon event. He crashed early in the race and broke a pole, was 40 seconds behind the leading group but then with one lap to go and with a tremendous burst of energy just left his competitors behind. The silver and bronze medalists, Sundby and Holund, closed in on Krüger the last kilometers but could not reach him.

But despite this great effort I think it is a very big shame that the freed Evgeniy Belov, Alexander Legkov and Maxim Vylegzhanin together with the never accused Sergey Ustiugov were not allowed to participate.

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Incredible race by Simen Hegstad Krüger

Postby Neuro » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 am

I make a thread about no spoilers for Olympics (anyway common and polite on forums to warn about spoilers in titles) and then you promptly make a thread and put the winners name in the title?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Neuro wrote:I make a thread about no spoilers for Olympics (anyway common and polite on forums to warn about spoilers in titles) and then you promptly make a thread and put the winners name in the title?

Do you think you own this forum?

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:
Neuro wrote:I make a thread about no spoilers ...

He made no such claim.

All he did was to make a polite request, to avoid posting spoilers if you can, with which any reasonable person would have been happy to agree.

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm not sure if this thread title is a spoiler, as it doesn't actually say the result.

That said, please, asking to not put info that could give away results in the title of thread is a very reasonable request.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 am

Spoilers have been part of the netiquette as far as I can remember and some forums or pages even have a function for it.

Normally not that massive of a deal to have the odd race spoiled, but for an Olypmpic 30k that's already gone done in history it was a shame to know the outcome beforehand, especially as a Norwegian.

Anyway, if there are to be no spoiler control here I'll just stay away from here a couple of weeks as I do normal news sites.

zzzz
xcskiforum 20K

Postby zzzz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 am

This forum is so dead, we shouldn't discourage taking about the races. I guess putting spoiler in the header makes sense if you remember, but how hard is it to stay away from a forum that gets only a handful of posts per day? I'm all for staying away if you haven't seen a race yet.

It would be great if there was more race discussion, like live commenting threads during the race. I did some of that for the women's skiathlon at letsrun.com, where there's a bit more interest in the racing than here.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:42 am

LewLasher wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:
Neuro wrote:I make a thread about no spoilers ...

He made no such claim.

All he did was to make a polite request, to avoid posting spoilers if you can, with which any reasonable person would have been happy to agree.

If he had made such a claim my question would have been: Why do you think you own this forum? The reasonable thing to do would have been to not visit this forum if it was suspected that so-called spoilers could appear.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:52 am

zzzz wrote:This forum is so dead,

No, that is not the case, but the interest for the race in question is apparently very little.

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
LewLasher wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:Do you think you own this forum?

He made no such claim.

If he had made such a claim my question would have been: Why do you think you own this forum? The reasonable thing to do would have been to not visit this forum if it was suspected that so-called spoilers could appear.

Yes, rather than you adjusting subject lines in nice way, drive the guy away from this site. Well done.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm

zzzz wrote:This forum is so dead, we shouldn't discourage taking about the races. I guess putting spoiler in the header makes sense if you remember, but how hard is it to stay away from a forum that gets only a handful of posts per day? I'm all for staying away if you haven't seen a race yet.

It would be great if there was more race discussion, like live commenting threads during the race. I did some of that for the women's skiathlon at letsrun.com, where there's a bit more interest in the racing than here.

Hey, not dead -- just nearly dead! "I'm still alive! I feel fine!"

I had no idea XC was discussed elsewhere much less more actively tho if at all it would be more!

This is the most famous forum! The other forum gets only one post a year so we rule! ...Until news of this upstart running forum w its Nordic fever.

Actually the half dozen of us tend to perk up at this time of year and during Olys.

"Now go away or I shall taunt you again!"
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 am

jt10000 wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:
LewLasher wrote:He made no such claim.

Yes, rather than you adjusting subject lines in nice way, drive the guy away from this site. Well done.

I am not driving Neuro away from this site. Earlier you were not even sure it was a spoiler when you wrote: "I'm not sure if this thread title is a spoiler, as it doesn't actually say the result."

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:The reasonable thing to do would have been to not visit this forum if it was suspected that so-called spoilers could appear.

The problem with your suggestion is that spoilers would still appear if people use the "Unread posts" feature.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:53 am

LewLasher wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:The reasonable thing to do would have been to not visit this forum if it was suspected that so-called spoilers could appear.

The problem with your suggestion is that spoilers would still appear if people use the "Unread posts" feature.

Then they should not use that feature during the time in question.

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 am

The reasonable thing to do would have been to use a subject line that does not include spoilers or even hints and also used the text, spoiler alert in the title. "Incredible race - Spoiler alert"
Ryan

Return to “Races and Racing”