COLL

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: COLL

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:08 am

John, I was kind of waiting for us to get snow so I could race on a race course (not a 2 km loop). I've been starting to change my opinion because I may get skunked if a wait. I'm confident the Pre-Birkie will go off without a problem (except the normal 1000 people trying to line up on the front line), but Mora and the Birkie are not guaranteed. We'll know next week if Knife Lake's snow survived, but I kind of doubt the ice is thick enough that they can pull out the "tar grinder" to make a course out of nothing. Historically the weather before the Birkie has some surprises. We've had races saved with last minute snows and warm weather has brought fantastic conditions to just ok. Will there be a Pepsi course in March? Who knows.

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:45 pm

I tried four, thin klisters this morning (2 pr). Nothing gripped. Adding some VR65 over the top at least gave me something, but I was still struggling. BTW, adding something like that is really difficult without a wax bench. Tomorrow I'll try something else, but it's hard to know what Sunday will present. It could be icy or it could be packed ice pellets. The course has some very dirty snow and then some fairly white snow that was recently added.

There is the City Conference race there today. (10^5 high schoolers. :o )

Jay

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Jay, I'm curious what klisters you tried? BNS say Guru Extreme 39 has worked well all week for them. I tried Swix KR-60 at Elm Creek yesterday (at 32F) and it was worthless. I'm thinking KR-35/40 or KR-50 would have been better. I ran into someone that was using Rex(?) universal klister (I forget what exactly he said) and he appeared to be getting good kick.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:02 pm

I was kind of surprised I didn't get a "founder" designation this year. I've done every race, except the one that got cancelled in 2005. Maybe I never techincally registered that year? I usually register for these races months in advance so I doubt that was the case.

Return to “Races and Racing”