E365
xcskiforum 40K

Vasaloppet USA 2012

Postby E365 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Latest Update on Vasaloppet.us

Vasaloppet Knife Lake update
1/31/2012
by Wade Weber, Vasaloppet Board of Director
I skied on Knife Lake Sunday and Monday skiing conditions were very good. Monday's above freezing temperatures had no affect on snow and skiing conditions.
Tuesday's higher temperatures, however, did make a very noticeable difference on snow and skiing conditions, but 2-3 inches of snow remain along shorelines, where the ski course would be created. In some areas there was up to 4 inches of snow on the leeward shore.
At this point, that is enough snow for a Knife Lake course.
But, Wednesday through Friday's temperatures will remain in high 30s, which is a concern. Over the weekend temps are forecast to be closer to or below the freezing mark, which have far less affect on Knife Lake snow conditions. Those temperatures combined with below freezing nighttime temps will provide a better assessment of the entire lake and of creating a ski course on Knife Lake.

Preparations continue for a Knife Lake race on Feb. 12. Obviously the Vasaloppet will continue to monitor snow conditions on the lake through the rest of this week and weekend.

The 10 day forecast calls for warmer temperatures again at the end of next week, but, as we all know about long range forecasts, it is important to wait for a more accurate forecast and assessment of snow conditions.
I'll be on skis at the lake again Wednesday evening and the next meeting of the entire race board of directors is Thursday morning so check back for any further reports.
Return to all news.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Vasaloppet USA 2012

Postby E365 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:57 pm

I don't like how just one 40F day "did make a very noticeable difference on snow and skiing conditions". As was mentioned, there are three more 40F days through the end of the week. :?

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Another update today.

Knife Lake Update Thursday, Feb. 2
2/2/2012
The Vasaloppet is continuing to monitor conditions on Knife Lake as warm weather is forecast to continue through the weekend. Race officials will tour the lake on Sunday and make an assessment of creating a quality ski course. So the situation remain a wait see on the warm weather affects the snow on the lake. The next Vasaloppet meeting of the board is Monday morning. Check back for more updates.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Cancelled! :-(

Vasaloppet.us

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Marc asked me this morning what I thought about Mora. "I....don't.....think it's gonna happen." Hey agreed and we both agreed this is the weirdest (snowless) winter we've ever seen in MN.

Jay

Return to “Races and Racing”