Pre Birkie

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Don Callander
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Pre Birkie

Postby Don Callander » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:42 am

Just prior to the race I had the skis stone ground and hot boxed with Moly. Then a coat of Swix ch6, then Start Green, then a coat of Fastwax LF-Teal with two coats of Swix HF4BD. They seemed slow which may have been the new snow. It was also interesting to watch the humidity drop from mid 60's to high 20's just prior to the start.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:12 pm

I think you want a few hundred km after a grind when you race in cold and/or new snow. The colder and newer, the more km...and I'm not talking Elm Creek snow, but some cold/new snow that will wear in that structure. Last weekend I skied on CH7 when it was 8F at the start, hoping to get some mileage on my (fairly new grind) cold skis.

Jay

Don Callander
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Don Callander » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks Jay:
Yes I probably had a flawed strategy especially since I was going for the Finlandia and the Pre-Birkie became an afterthought. Also ALL of my skiing has been at Elm Creek. With a still swollen ankle my racing does not look encouraging looking forward.

Don

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Burgesse » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Well, just to demonstrate this weird weather, today we skied in 39 sunny degrees!
What a bonkers winter this has been. All in all, I prefer slow skis in +39 to slow skis in -3.... :D
Finlandia anyone? Looks like the short race will be 2 loops on the west hilly side.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:27 pm

I skied on the Birkie trail today from OO to Mosquito Brook. Temp at start was 28 with about an inch of fresh powder on the trail. The skate lane had been combed by the tracks were left to be skied in. Track were firm but nice with the new snow. Temps in Hayward got to 38 in the late afternoon and early evening. At 6:30 pm it was showing lightly.

Trail crews are working on the Birkie trail both days we have skied here. The trail looks patty good IMHO.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “Races and Racing”