Wabos Loppet

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

NorthstarNerd
xcskiforum 10K

Wabos Loppet

Postby NorthstarNerd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Anyone ski this event (March 3rd)?

My wife and I are signed up and excited. It takes place north of Sioux St. Marie, Ontario at the eastern end of Lake Superior Here is how the event is described via Stokely Creek Lodge:

"The Wabos Loppet takes place in March and begins with a scenic hour-long train ride from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to the lumbering village of Wabos. At Wabos, skiers begin an uninterrupted 27 KM (16 mile) cross country course that leads through the woods, over two lakes and several beaver ponds to Sheppard Lake, where tea and oranges are served. The rest of the course is on groomed cross country trails leading to Norm's cabin at the edge of Bone Lake. There skiers will enjoy refreshments of tea and cookies. The last part of the trip takes participants to Stokely Creek Lodge for a festive celebratory barbecue."

My wife has agreed to skiing classic, which is a requirement. Apparently the first part of the 27 km course is on forest trails which exist, but are not groomed. I particularly like the idea of using the Algoma Central Railroad to get delivered to the start! I promise some photos.

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Re: Wabos Loppet

Postby Biffbradford » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Sounds cool. PHotos YES! :D
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

slowlee
xcskiforum 10K

Postby slowlee » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:41 pm

I did this back in the late '90s. I think that it was a bit shorter then. Lots of fun--I'd like to do it again some time. Enjoy!
Leland

LewLasher
World Cup

and is the lake near the river?

Postby LewLasher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 pm

NorthstarNerd wrote:to Sheppard Lake, where tea and oranges are served

Do the tea and oranges come all the way from China?

NorthstarNerd
xcskiforum 10K

Postby NorthstarNerd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Here are the promised photos of the Wabos Loppet. The event is super cool. It was amazing to be delivered by a train into the Lake Superior wilderness ... and then ski back to the lodge without ever crossing a single road.

http://www.northstarnerd.org/econtent/2 ... -2012.html

Longblades
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Longblades » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 am

So glad you enjoyed this. I know I'm late here but would like to give more personal encouragement. We did it in "86 or maybe it was '87. Back then it was about 30 km and the first third had been snowmobiled in through the bush before we hit the track set trails.

It was the Wabos of super high temperatures. That same weekend a ski jumping competition in Thunder Bay was cancelled because the snow melted off the hills and track. It was well over 60F. People were swimming in a hole chopped in the ice at Bone Lake. Men were skiing topless and a few people got sunburns. Several people, new to skiing, were taken from Bone Lake by snowmobile back to the lodge, we heard they were exhausted from being new to skiing and the heat did them in. The after loppet party was at Blueberry that year because the numbers participating was so high.

A group from Ann Arbour arrived in two buses and had decided their theme that year would be "on the beach." Little did they know ahead of time how appropriate the couple of grass skirts we saw would be that day of too high temperatures.

It was GREAT. It was the start of our 5 day stay at Stokely that year and we skiied down hills normally covered with feet of snow, except this time we had to ski around creeks. We'd never seen Stokely Falls open and running till this trip. By the last day of our stay Homerun Hill was not skiiable; it faces S. W. and lost most of it's snow. Every day conditons went from ice in the morning to mush after noon. While my first choice would be hard wax days for our whole stay we'd been to Stokely several times previously and to see this new, spring time side of it, was a treat.

Return to “Races and Racing”