what to wear in a loppet in the rain?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

jt10000
World Cup

what to wear in a loppet in the rain?

Postby jt10000 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:46 am

What would you wear for a long race at 35F with light rain? How would this differ from the same race dry?
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Re: what to wear in a loppet in the rain?

Postby Biffbradford » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:02 am

35 and rain is about as cold as you can get. More danger of hypothermia than at -10F.

Light layers with water repellant outer. Pit zips might be handy. Bring a spare hat, spare gloves.

:-)
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Raubie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Biffbradford wrote:35 and rain is about as cold as you can get. More danger of hypothermia than at -10F.

Light layers with water repellant outer. Pit zips might be handy. Bring a spare hat, spare gloves.

:-)

Biff, well said!

I remember being on an exposed trail with ~15k back to the car and it started to rain, and I've never been so cold. Ever. Couldn't generate any body heat, and had to stop ever k or so to wring out my gloves/hats. Now I always carry a 6L fanny pack with extra clothing/food/hand warmers if there's any forecast of rain. Or take a pass.

Further to Biff's recommendations, with the usual Craft base layers, I've tried waterproof cycling tights, a snug cycling rain jacket (Giordana), a neck buff to keep water from running down the inside of the jacket/shirt, waterproof arm warmers (Castelli "Nanoflex"), and Swix overmits that fit right over your gloves and around the strap (super handy).

Getting chills just thinking about it. :)

LewLasher
World Cup

Baaaa

Postby LewLasher » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm not a racer, but I remember reading that wool is the best fabric to keep you warm when you are wet.

Unfortunately, I don't think that typical racing-style clothing is available in wool.

But you could certainly wear wool socks. And wool glove liners.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:10 pm

I've done a bounding workout in 40F and a light rain wearing shorts and a polypro, but when I stopped, I immediately started getting cold. I think it depends on a number of factors.

-How hard the rain is falling and how cold the rain is. My workout was in the fall when the rain is likely warmer than a slush/sleet.
-Wind!
-How hard you can go. (Generate heat).

I've found that nylon vest (like the popular Pearl Izumi vest) is a good piece in a light rain because it tends to not stick to the under layer. I'd be quite nervous about trying to wear any rain gear because it just doesn't breath, but having a light cycling rain jacket rolled up would be a good idea. It's true that a cold downpour can really be a problem. Compared to a non-rain race....at this time of year I'd say guys will be wearing a polypro and tights or even shorts. You really generate heat skiing (compared to cycling).

Tough call,

Jay

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks guys.

I've done endurance ski training in the rain at 35F and been OK (breathable waterproof cycling jacket, windfront cycling tights, warmer than normal hat, plus oil or wax on legs and hands, etc.) for 90 minutes.

For racing I'm more worried and want to think about it. The vest idea and maybe carrying a jacket sounds good.

Wool is good for training (or "fun") in the rain. But it has a major downside - becomes *very* heavy when wet. I wouldn't race in it.

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Fortunately it's a ski race and not a bike race. Not as much wind chill and you're working harder and at a more constant rate. I second the idea of carrying a vest especially if there will be open, windy areas. I've done my share of cycling in similar conditions and had success with a long sleeved cycling jersey over a long sleeved tech t shirt. A vest over that if it's really cold and for the descents.

Hopefully it's not so sloppy that your feet get soaked (and you hands for that matter). If that's a concern, you may want to get some of those chemical foot warmers (the kind where you peel off the paper and stick them to the bottom of your sock). Hands: lobster gloves?

Sounds to me that you know what works; the only comment to the contrary is that you may get too hot in a cycling jacket if you're racing hard.

Finally, plus one on what Jay said about freezing solid after you're done. Hopefully you can get fast access to dry clothing ASAP after the finish.

So, where is this late season loppet?

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Not a specific race - just thinking. Plus the last race I did this year it was pouring and in the high 30s half an hour from the venue. But the race was dry at 36ishF (which felt very warm) so it got me thinking: 35F on a bike is sheer terror but that temp w/o rain skiing was very warm.

I should probably try a hard ski workout in the rain to test clothes.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 am

This is typical winter weather for me. I dealt with it on long bike training rides.

What worked best is a cycling long-sleeve jacket (sweat layer underneaith, with on top a brand spanking new thin windbreaker. Those are often waterproofed with a coating that wears off. But when new, it works just so swell.
For a sub-hour race, arm pieces, cycling jerseys, and windbreaker vests are awesome items. You can make an effort to waterproof the vest with an extra coat of special waterproofing spray. XC boots are awesome, but running shoes, you might want to treat the same.
I've also been thankful for windproof (often somewhat rain proof) tights. Spray those up as well.

In rain, dress 10ºC colder than it is. Layers that can be opened (like the vest, windbreaker jacket, as great for when it clears. Arm pieces can be pulled down to the wrists.
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 am

Cloxxki wrote:Arm pieces can be pulled down to the wrists.

On skis?

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 am

jt10000 wrote:
Cloxxki wrote:Arm pieces can be pulled down to the wrists.

On skis?

Yes, else I would have said removed. Not everyone will like to have a slightly pressing rolled/bunched up armpiece on the lower arm, but it does bring coolness to rest of the arm. Suppose it's a fashion risk, but it a functional one.
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

Return to “Races and Racing”