Seeley

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Seeley

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:47 am

It sounds like Seeley Hills may be changed or delayed. Not enough snow to set track. I love this race, even though I'm a lousy classic skier.

I also love pursuits and last weekend was the TC Champs. I had my ASCII handed to me on Sat (classic), but I had a nice skate race on Sun. On Sat, I really struggled the second lap. I never felt like I either recovered from the hills or was in control of my HR when climbing. On Sun, I struggled a bit on the first lap, but then got things under control after that.

Jay

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Seeley

Postby Burgesse » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 am

Agree - it's a lot of fun, esp. when the front-liners tumble all over each other... :rolleyes:
I'm still planning on doing it if it's on, but got my typical first winter cold going too.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 am

There's not enough snow on either side of 00?
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 pm

"Conditions on the trail right now would make it difficult to groom for a classic race. We are considering numerous options including offering a freestyle race. Unfortunately the forecast calls for above freezing temps and possible rain on Friday. We are meeting tomorrow evening and hope to have a definitive decision Wednesday morning and skinnyski will be the first to know.
- Dennis Kruse, race director"

People skiing up there are reporting thin conditions. They've had that in the past, said they would not bring up dirt when they set track, but then they brought up dirt. (Impossible task.) So setting a track could be a bad thing for the trail (and Birkie). If it's thin, then running a skate race means really lumpy conditions and difficult, hard track conditions. Also, there is rain coming in, and there is no idea what happens during the rain. Could be a nasty track on Sat morn. Finally, there is snow predicted, but who knows how much they'll get on Sat/Sun.

A pure random guess....I'd say they'll postpone two weeks since the Birkie Tour is the 19th. Of course I have a family gathering the 27th, so hopefully they won't pick that day.

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:33 pm

The race was changed to an "open track event" and then that was cancelled. I called New Moon and they said they got rain, no snow, and about a quarter inch of ice. So, the trail sounds dangerous and it's hard to know when the Piston Bullies could get on the (soft) trail or if a snowmobile groomer would make much of a dent. I'm surprised the event was cancelled rather than rescheduled. I understand that it's hard to get volunteers, timers, racers etc to change dates for the big races, and I guess Seeley is now big enough to be in that catagory. Of course, a week or two from now may not be any different regarding snow.

Jay

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Sorry to hear that conditions are so poor. I was hoping for another of your classic race videos! I'll try to send the blizzard we just got your way. Maybe there's still some snow left in it. ;)
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Burgesse » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:33 am

And what's really surprising is that the Sisu Ski Fest in Ironwood has also been canceled - another bizarro winter. :shock:

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:22 am

Burgesse wrote:And what's really surprising is that the Sisu Ski Fest in Ironwood has also been canceled - another bizarro winter. :shock:

Whoa! That does say something about this winter. We've been pretty warm on the Rocky Mountain Front in North Central Montana the past 10 days or so but snow in the mountains has been very nice. There was a pattern shift this week that brought the jet stream south of us. So we got heavy snow and cold. I'm hoping this will also apply to the northern Midwest.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “Races and Racing”