Midwest Racing

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Midwest Racing

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Paul Douglas (local meterologist):

An average January brings 13 inches of snow to MSP. So far this month: 1.4 inches. Speaking of sad. A few models bring a chance of snow into town by the middle of next week, but I'm skeptical. Everything now is viewed thru the prism of lingering drought. Getting any heavy precipitation (rain or snow) is the meteorological equivalent of swimming upstream.

Keep your snowy expectations low

-City of Lakes: Sounds like they've extended the artifical snow loop

-Mora: Ice should be thick enough

-Birkie: 32 days to get some snow

Thoughts?

Jay

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Re: Midwest Racing

Postby Biffbradford » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Don't put your running shoes away. :D

My prediction is that in 20 years, the American Birkebeiner will be a once in a blue moon event. sort of like the Dutch Elfstedentocht (11 Cities race and tour, last held in 1997) held only on years when there's enough snow instead of an annual pilgramage.

Just like the economy ... winters will never be like they once were.
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 am

I'm not concerned about the Vasaloppet yet, and especially not the Birkie. The City of Lakes on the other hand... I have my doubts about the full course - it's not looking good. And I'm not loving the idea of a bunch of laps around a man made loop again. It's the same reason I have no interest in the Tour de Twin Cities or Twin Cities Championships. I want an event, not just a race for the sake of doing a race. It's gotta be point-to-point and at least 30km to get me interested.

I've been skiing at the Elm Creek man-made loop a ton, but this weekend was the first that I started to lose interest :(

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:14 pm

E365 wrote:I've been skiing at the Elm Creek man-made loop a ton, but this weekend was the first that I started to lose interest :(

And if this is all we get, after your races are done, you will loose all interest entirely. :cry:

This has been another very strange season......

e.

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I've gotten one day of skiing in so far this year (Central, WI), very disappointed, though... after looking at my logs I saw that Jan 15th was the first day I skied last season. I think there is some hope for Feb.
Ryan

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 pm

012.JPG
012.JPG (33.13 KiB) Viewed 2710 times

This is as close as I got to skiing today. Not for lack of snow as we are finally closing in on 100" in the Keweenaw this season. I like it when my designated rest days are -9F warming up to zero, but I'm already getting a little stir crazy. It's ironic that we get all this snow and don't have many local races anymore, and you guys haven't been getting snow but have races scheduled every 5 minutes. It's also strange that one of the few U.P. races was cancelled because it was 44F at 6:00AM in Ironwood, in freaking January! Lucky I consider myself to be a skier that occasionally races vs. a racer that occasionally skis. As far as the Birkie goes, they have squated on what they consider to be the meteorologically best day of the year and still seem to be on the bubble every few years or so. Amazingly, that race (a great event no doubt) has grown to epic numbers of skiers (a turn away crowd), while smaller local races continue to evaporate.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Looks like a Flying V to me.

Jay

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm

Yup, and if Rudy was jamming with his brother Michael it would be 2 flying V's (or V2).

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

The latest 120hr. GFS forecast is showing some hope for MSP, Mora, Hayward, etc.

http://wxcaster.com/gis-gfs-snow-overla ... TIONID=MPX

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

E365 wrote:The latest 120hr. GFS forecast is showing some hope for MSP, Mora, Hayward, etc.

http://wxcaster.com/gis-gfs-snow-overla ... TIONID=MPX

10-12 inches does look promising. :prayer:
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “Races and Racing”