City Of Lakes Loppet 2013

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: City Of Lakes Loppet 2013

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 am

Since the weather has turned colder, I'm thinking about using my best pair of skis.

I was over there shoveling yesterday, but didn't have a chance to ask the trail crew about conditions....we were just working our asses off. Definitely sore today, even last night. We were filling in the Lake St channel and the final curve where I'm guessing the wind must have polished the ice. Awfully smooth and hopefully the 6 inches we added will bond.

BTW, they've been doing some type of water or sewer project and there is a one foot diameter pipe laying across the path. There is a wooden ramp leading up to and after the pipe, but at the end of the race, when your mind if foggy and expecting a flat lake, keep your eyes open for that "little hill." No problem except if your muscles are shot and your mind is in la-la land. I've stumbled up the lake exit in the past, so I know from experience.

Finally, we made to Channel 5 news...Mitch Pittman was out there and of course I didn't know him. It was something like -4F and I immediately took off my winter jacket and shoveled in a ski jacket....then took off my hat since it was getting wet.

Jay

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Burgesse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 am

Have a Good Race, all you COLL'ers :bigsmurf:
I'm here in minus 31F until a noon classic tour.
(I just fall down too often on those icy COLL hills :roll: )

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:30 pm

It's gonna be a good one tomorrow. We made it by the skin of our teeth. Amazing what a few inches of snow can do.
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm

I discovered they gave me the wrong bib....I think it's a second wave bib (1104).

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:52 pm

The Bib
-----------
Let’s try this again. I got handed the wrong bib yesterday, 1104 instead of 1014. The 1XXX stands for first wave and the XX14 means I’m seeded in the top 20 (don’t know how that happened) so I get a front row start. I went in early and got my correct bib, no harm no foul.

So yesterday, I went out on the skis I wanted to race. I skied with another guy who had the same skis waxed with “I don’t remember what, I think it’s blue.” We had the same speed skis but I had the full fluoro treatment from a race a few weeks ago (were I didn’t use the skis). I got spooked about the skis. The grind is pretty recent (in terms of # of skis), but I don’t remember how many km since I haven’t skied them this year. (Poor snow this year.) When I was waxing these skis, I could tell by how they brushed out that the grind was still new, so out came an older pair. Of course the real test would have been to wax both the same and go ski them the day before, but I was lazy.

That pair:
-Fischer RCS 610
-Fine linear
-Ch4, LF4, Holmenkol Green
-Swix FC7 ironed, Start SR92 corked in, brushed well

The race skis felt really slow in the new snow. It’s hard to tell how much of that is the new snow (well, most of the effect), but for 8 F or so in new snow, things felt slower than they shoulld. Kuan said that no one was using a top coat and a number of guys were skipping pure fluoros. Huh.

The Start
------------
I dp’ed out of the start and I think the guy on my right might have put a pole between my legs. I was on balance, got tangled and went down, but I didn’t catch the details. The elite women were in the second row, so a woman ran a ski into my wrist, then under my arm, but she didn’t go down. (Good job.) After that, my chore was simply chasing through a mass of humanity. (It’s amazing how slow the group goes…just like rush hour traffic.) No broken gear, but passing was like doing intervals in the middle of a race.

The Turn and the Chase
-------------
On the artificial snow section, there is a left hand turn that deserves some attention. When we had hit it, I forgot the classic race had been through there, so the curve was scraped clean. I slid around, went wide to the classic tracks and saved it. That got a “Nice job guy” from behind.

By the time I got to the wide open east side of Wirth, I could see a good group (with Peter Hanson) ahead of me, but I couldn’t catch them…I had already blown my turbo boost. By the second time across Wirth Lake, I caught the group. That was pretty much my race since I just hung onto the group for the remainder of the race.

The Course
---------------
The course was in great shape and I didn’t hit anything or do any damage. Considering where we were a couple weeks ago, the course was amazing. The shoveling efforts were noticeable (to me, since I skied part of the course before the work.)

Jay

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I went out way too hard and bonked really early. I should have known as I've done it before on this course. The early section is fairly hilly (for me at least). That lead to weak legs and two falls on downhills :( Lost some spots there.

I started to recover after we got off the golf course where there was room to "cruise". Ended up in the top 20 overall (classic) so that was alright. I'd like to think I would have placed better without the crashes and bonk but the field got so spread out that I doubt it hurt much. Mentally it kills you though.

I used Swix VR40 and had great kick during my pre-race test but it seemed a little slow. Not sure if that was just the slow snow or the kick wax. But since the kick was SO good I assumed the wax was dragging so I added a single thin layer of VR30 over the top. That turned out to be pretty good for race pace.

There was a guy in the start corral that I felt bad for. His binding was broken and he was struggling to fix it just a couple minutes before the start. About 1 minute from the start he walked out if the corral so I'm not sure what happened to him (found another pair?)

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:38 pm

How did people find the speed, this year versus previous (not counting last year!)? 2011 Hoigaards Classic had finish time of 83 minutes (average of top 5) in '11, but 77 minutes today, 7% faster. And we can't blame it all on Murray :) . My glide seemed worse this year, even though 2011 had "mashed potatoes" of loose snow.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 am

In terms of how fast the skis were (not vs. other skiers), the snow was much, much slower this year. Compared to others, I had better than average skis in 2011, but it's hard to tell this year...average, a little below? My skis were pretty good in the Bog and on the corderoy on the lakes, but not on the snow that was skied in on the lakes. Before that I was just powering. Push, push, not glide, glide. So I was definitely fighting the skis and new crystal snow.

Jay

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:05 am

I started out intending to take it easy on the par 3/back 9 segments while the pack settled down, and I could hit the big climbs without running the risk of blowing up.

....that plan lasted about 2 minutes......

Although maybe it was a screaming success--when I checked my HRM after the race, I realized I was well into the Red Zone after the first 15 minutes. I hate to think what would have happened had I not been holding back.

Conditions deep in the classic pack were not great, what little track there was, was pretty much obliterated and washed out by th time I got to it. Kick was easy and abundant, glide, however was not great. I think (for once) my skis were set up just right for the day. Some pre-race wax testing on the natural-snow part of the course (skied from the chalet to the par 3 by going across the bridge), made me pretty confident in my wax choice. HF Green over RCF Black, w. a tk 72 topcoat. I set the kick zone up w. a base of ironed in powergrip, an ironed in cushion of blue, topped w. 5 layers of Green, and a short layer of blue underfoot to help w. the hills. Honestly, the skis were set up to be faster than I was. On the downhills in the fresh powder of the skate lane, I was faster than those in the classic track.

The overall plan was to just hang on and grind out the back nine, recover a bit on the front 9, and then start pushing on the flats through Tornado alley and JD gardens to get to the lakes. I seemed to be able to hold on ok for the back 9 and not drop too far back, and by the time I hit Tornado alley I was feeling ready to go, only to find that there was no classic track at all on this segment of trail. Oddly enough, this ended up being the most frustrating segment of the race. It was hard to avoid skating--although the gentleman in front of me seemed to have no qualms about doing so. I was able to keep it together enough to start picking off skiers one at a time, and once the track started up again, was able to settle into a comfortable rhythm which I was able to hold for the rest of the race. My kick held up well throughout, and my glide went from decent to really good when I hit the lakes. My overall time and % back in the pack were much improved from 2011--just missed the top 50%. Physically, I felt much better than I did after the Marine O'Brien race last week--pace was slower, but not surprising given the cold conditions.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 am

SpecialGreen wrote:How did people find the speed, this year versus previous (not counting last year!)?

Speed wise, I think I did pretty well with my skis, I seemed to be a little bit faster than folks around me on the downhills and on the lakes--however, speed was relative, as nobody was going terribly fast.

e.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 am

When I look at my finishing place, I'm surprised that I'm not far off what I would expect...maybe 45-60 seconds. (Based on this year's results.) A couple years ago I had much better conditioning and it was a faster race (good for me). So I can't really compare to that year.

Jay

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:26 pm

For the 24k classic:
2011: 82.73/138.05 minutes (avg. of top5, avg all finishers)
2013: 77.1/133.1 minutes (6.8% and 3.6% faster)
I was 6.9% faster in `13, so "par for the course," I guess.

For the skate:
2011 skate: 83.6 (top5)
2013 skate: 84.45 (1% slower)

Perhaps the ample kick improved the classic times this year.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 pm

5.6% slower for me.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:43 pm

It seemed reasonably fast for me - I was pretty much even with others around me (all of which finished ahead of me) on those early downhills. I got one place better than 2011 and I was about 3:30 faster than 2011. I beat the top woman unlike 2011 though. That's really my ultimate goal for my races. :)

I think my wax was FastWax HSF-20 Tan. The Green would have been more ideal but I didn't have any, so I mixed in a little Swix CH4 to harden it up. I ironed in SkiGo C105 powder. It was older stuff though that I found on eBay recently for $60. Definitely not the same as the newest C105, but I'm sure plenty good for a recreational racer like me. I'm gonna use that stuff again for the Vasaloppet this weekend, probably on top of FastWax HSF30 Salmon.

Return to “Races and Racing”