Mora Vasalopet

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

enevala
World Cup

Re: Mora Vasalopet

Postby enevala » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:26 am

kuan wrote:Skiing in the blizzard with glasses plain stinks. As if wearing glasses wasn't bad enough. All you lucky people blessed with good eyesight, well, good for you.

I was pretty much blind for the last 7k or so...I hear 'ya. I need to see if I can find one of those eye-shields that works over glasses.

e.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:27 am

“It was the best of times; it was the worst of times…..”
I set up for the classic race feeling fairly confident in my setup. The forecast had called for temps in the upper 20’s warming to around freezing with fresh snow, and blowing old snow. Glide was pretty straightforward: Fastwax Tan over Rex RCF Black, topped w. Rex Nagano to help deal with the fresh stuff. Kick didn’t seem that hard either: Rex Powergrip base (ironed in), topped w. Rode multigrade/purple. I tested the Rode on Saturday morning, in similar conditions (Como Park): fresh track intermittently filled w. windblown powder. Kick was good, and glide was surprisingly good. The plan was to use the Rode on the lake, for KDP, and then have the Powergrip to kick me in to town as the temps warmed to the freezing point.

I started out in my usual place in the back—buried somewhere in the middle and tried to use the mass of humanity as a windbreak as best I could. The first leg of the lake portion of the race was largely into a 15 mph headwind, and skiing alone was tough sledding. I played traffic games for a while until people got themselves sorted out. I hung behind a small group (windblock) for a while, but became frustrated with their pace, and tried to bridge up to the next group. As a result I ended up skiing alone, into the wind until the first feed as I just couldn’t quite get close enough to latch on.

I grabbed onto the group at the first feed, and stuck with them to the NE corner of the lake. Once we got out of the headwind, I set the cruise control and started to KDP. Skis at this point were running very well, in track, out of track, through the loose blown snow in the track. I was scooting along comfortably and picking off skiers one at a time. At this point there was a 15mph tailwind, so who needs a pull at this point right?? I knew that once I got off the lake, my tempo would probably drop a bit, so I tried to make the best of my time on the lake.

By this point, the forecast snowfall had not started—it was late, but inevitable. I got off the lake, and made the turn in to town feeling pretty good. Fresh snow was starting to fall, but not enough to worry about. With about 10k remaining into town, the snowguns fired up and everything changed. The new powder that was filling the track caused my kick zones to pack up with snow killing my glide. My pace slowed to an absolute crawl, (was losing over 1 min/k off my previous pace) and I watched, one at a time, most of the skiers I had passed on the lake, pass me, and drop me like a bad habit. As frustrating as that was, I was pretty sure that the damage was self-inflicted.

Crossing the lake, the track was completely gone, so I crossed at kind of a shuffling jog, climbed the belltower hill to Main Street and the finish at 2:31…absolutely brutal.

Looking at the conditions, once it started snowing, the temps actually dropped, it was 28 at the start, and 26 at the finish. Either the Rode did me in (too warm), or the PPG base did me in (too warm, should have gone PPG Blue)). I know Rode was a popular call but I haven’t heard of anyone else having the packing/clumping issues I was experiencing.

Not my best effort by a long shot, and the results were purely self-inflicted, but it was a good time overall, and would do it again without hesitation, although hopefully at the full 42k, not the short course.....and with a hopefully better wax job.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 am

MN Hoser wrote:6th overall, pretty good race.

You were moving pretty well when you overtook me at about the 5k mark. Good race!

e.

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Very impressive.

And good sounds like Eric you did pretty well too.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:18 pm

jt10000 wrote:

Very impressive.

And good sounds like Eric you did pretty well too.

Thanks. There were a few unusual results in there, like Andy Schakel usually beats me. (He hasn't been training, but I think he stomped me at the City of Lakes, so maybe he had slow skis.) You never sure how much training Chad has done, but it would have been fun to battle Per. It just didn't work out that way.

So Eric, did you yell out something as I went by? There were a few people yelling out things like "Joes" (referring to my suit).

Jay

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 am

jt10000 wrote:And good sounds like Eric you did pretty well too.

Thanks, it turned in to an adventure at the end, but given the conditions I can't complain too much.

MN Hoser wrote:So Eric, did you yell out something as I went by? There were a few people yelling out things like "Joes" (referring to my suit).

No I didn't. I thought I recognized you, but my glasses were so iced up I caught the green of the suit, but not much else. I didn't recognize Chad and Per when they went by either. I had to look at the 35k results afterwards to figure out who was who. :roll:

Eric

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 am

Very nice Jay! Very Nice!
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks Montana. You might be interested in this. I pulled this from a facebook post by Bill Pierce. I think he's head of grooming for the Birkie or some kind of head honcho with grooming. This shows wolf tracks on the Birkie Trail. They completely obliterated the trail for 50 meters.

Anway, as I was grip waxing my skis tonight, I heard a wolf howling. You may how I knew it was a wolf, especially in the city....well, there's a zoo next door with wolves, so I am making a little assumption, but I'm pretty sure it was a wolf.

Jay

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm

I heard wolves howling right after breakfast this morning. But then I'm staying at the Gray Wolf Inn in West Yellowstone right across the street from the wolf discovery center. Ha ha.

Wolf tracks on the Birkie trail looks pretty cool.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 pm

enevala wrote:The forecast had called for temps in the upper 20’s warming to around freezing with fresh snow, and blowing old snow.

Up until late the evening before, weather.com called for a rain/snow mix a 11am. I thought of washing some Nikwax waterproofing into my ski clothes, until they changed it to an all-snow forecast.

I arrived too early at the start... I had about 75 minutes until the gun, which was more time than I need to warm-up, by a long shot. And there we were, standing out at the windward end of frozen lake. The ice-houses in the distance sure looked comfortable. I learned my lesson, and will bring a coat with a hood to the start in the future! Maybe even throw a space-blanket into the duffel bag.

> Glide was pretty straightforward: Fastwax Tan over Rex RCF Black, topped w. Rex Nagano

Similar here: fastwax red

> Kick didn’t seem that hard either: Rex Powergrip base (ironed in), topped w. Rode multigrade/purple.

I had a base layer of blue-extra, with several layers of violet-special. Seemed to kick like gangbusters.

> tried to use the mass of humanity as a windbreak as best I could.

Good idea.

The snow in the track didn't seem to glaze or glide especially well, even at 30F and right behind a pack of skiers. But I had good kick and glide on the frozen corderoy, so I kdp'd around the lake, and was in a nice zone.

After an hour (70 minutes?) of the same KDP rhythm, it took me a few minutes to remember how to stride in the woods. It was almost as though the "kick" part of my brain had gone to sleep. Then the snow started; it was heavy enough to stick to my face, and I could see it built-up on my cheekbones. I think the snow magnified the spread in finish times: folks who finished before it started, versus people stuck in the woods, or out of the lake. I think it added 5 minutes for me.

I'd never skied at Mora before, and it was a nice course. Each highway crossing was tended by a deputy and two volunteers. I think the closest thing we had to an uphill was the headwind in the first 7km. The finish was fun, though I fell at the line. Someone yelled "are you OK?" I yelled "Did I cross the line?" "Yep"... "I'm doing fine, then, thanks."

The blueberry soup at the finish line was fun, but I had to water it down 50/50. The fruit/cookie buffet table sitting out at the finish was great; and the warming tent, capably staffed by the 4-H, and with 1"-deep woodchips covering floor, was both comfortable (not muddy like some), and a bit like the dairy barn at the State Fair (does that mean we were the cows?).

Thanks to anybody here who volunteered. I'm looking forwards to doing the full course next year.

Return to “Races and Racing”