Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Seeley

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:14 pm

1/25/14

Seeley Hills Classic
-Two races: 22 and 42 km (I did the 22 km)
-This year:
-Races shortened to 18 and 32 km
-Excellent snow
-Cold temps (-4 or 5F and 15-20 mph winds)
-Most of the good skiers (any age group) did the long race

-Equipment:
-Fischer Speedmax Skis
-Atomic boots (grin)
-Wax job:
-Glide: Skigo 380 covered with Start 92 block
-Kick (in a klister pocket):
2 thin layers of Swix VR30
1 layer of Rode Special Green
2 thin layers of Swix VF20 (the old fluorinated kick wax)
The Special Green sped up he VR30, and the VF30 sped up the Special Green

The skis were great even though they have a mid-temp grind and not many km on them. I think the VF20 really helped. That's a wax I've never been able to kick, but today glide was the problem, not kick.

A group of five got off the front pretty quickly, while I followed Per. He would normally be a good skier to follow, but he told me before the race that he used VR30. That meant his skis would be slow. After passing him, I spent the race skiing alone. I couldn't see anyone in front of me or anyone behind.

So, I took 6th overall and second in my age group. Complaints from my body are pretty minimal, but we'll see how my back feels tomorrow. The tracks were perfect. Hard, fast, and easy grip.

Great day. Results at: http://www.itiming.com/html/raceresults ... eventype=0

Jay

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Seeley

Postby Burgesse » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am

Nice job, Jay. Were the races shortened on account of the cold temp's?
This is the first year in a long time I have missed this one.... :cry:

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:19 am

Good effort there Jay! Thanks for the wax info. I've switched to Swix waxes after my Birkie Toko fiasco of two years ago. I've also found that putting a very cold non fluoridated wax over VR 30 improves the glide without decreasing the grip. Rode special green has always been a favorite.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Burgesse wrote:Nice job, Jay. Were the races shortened on account of the cold temp's?

Thanks.
Yes.
Should have come. The temps were balmy compared to International Falls.

Today there was 1-2 inches of new snow, so a ski to the High Point was a slog, and the snow got drier and slightly deeper heading north. The drive home was an adventure. Super windy.

Jay

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:47 pm

MN Hoser wrote:
Burgesse wrote:Nice job, Jay. Were the races shortened on account of the cold temp's?

Thanks.
Yes.
Should have come. The temps were balmy compared to International Falls.

Today there was 1-2 inches of new snow, so a ski to the High Point was a slog, and the snow got drier and slightly deeper heading north. The drive home was an adventure. Super windy.

Jay

Sounds like the Rocky Mountain Front of Montana. :D

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm

And what was the Toko fiasco? My feeling is that Toko seems to supply the "raw ingredients" and their system expects the user to mix to achieve a final wax job. As for kick waxes, I liked their original series, but dropped them after that. (I went to Swix.)

Jay

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:44 pm

MN Hoser wrote:And what was the Toko fiasco? My feeling is that Toko seems to supply the "raw ingredients" and their system expects the user to mix to achieve a final wax job. As for kick waxes, I liked their original series, but dropped them after that. (I went to Swix.)

Jay

I guess it was the steep learning curve and inadequate training material for the average user coupled with my inability to obtain good kick over long distances especially at some of the warmer temperatures. Even after closely following Toko's Birkie wax recommendations and talking to a rep at the Birkie trade show I was unable to prepare a classic ski with good grip. I had used Toko grip waxes for a long time but the switch to the latest versions left me in the dark.

So I switched to the Swix VR waxes last year and have been getting along much better.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:16 pm

I just re-read my post. I meant to say "VF20 sped up the Special Green."

I've been waiting for years to pull out that VF20 for a cold race. BTW, I hardly had any kick wax on my skis at the start, and the pocket was surprisingly short. I was fully expecting to lengthen it, but didn't have to. I'm not sure why the snow was so sharp, but even after the whole race went over the tracks (out and back race), the grip wax was still gripping. I think I slipped once near the end, but that's me.

Jay

mko02
xcskiforum 10K

Postby mko02 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Jay,
good to see you at Seeley. I tried the Toko mint (old wax) on one pair and had the SkiGo red on my second pair. The SkiGo red is intended for new fine snow, down to +5F. Surprisingly it worked very well. I had a very short wax pocket, great glide and great kick. If it was not for the leaves, it would have been a perfect day.

Like other posts, I've had no luck with the new Toko line - hence the SkiGo expt. When these are working they seem to allow for great kick without reducing glide. I'll probably have SkiGo on one pair for COL and try some of my old Toko on another.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 am

As Spock would say, "Fascinating."

Thanks for the info,

Jay

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:07 am

My go to wax for years in cold new snow has been Rex Mantra in the last two years I have added Start Terva Black. Both have great kick are lights out fast in cold new snow. I don't know if Gear West can get Mantra anymore but Finn Sisu has it. Both have terva

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Josh (4th place) used Mantra and was really happy with his skis. It sounded like he bought the wax recently, and since he was wearing a Gear West suit, probably got it at Gear West.

Jay

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:23 pm

Maybe, but he has Start poles that he bought at Finn Sisu so... :-)

Return to “Races and Racing”