Who's in?

Who's done it before?

enevala
World Cup

Re: Noquemanon

Postby enevala » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:41 am

Askel wrote:

Who's done it before?

Did the Half Classic in 06--what a fantastic race. I'm hoping to be back up there in 09 for the full 50.

matt aro
xcskiforum 10K

Postby matt aro » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:03 am

Askel, I think I've done it every year except year #1. You will absolutely LOVE it!! It's one of my favorite races.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:17 pm

Cool! Any tips or tricks anybody has to pass on to this racing n00b would certainly be appreciated. I'm just looking to head out and enjoy the event the first time around.

And I'm looking forward to demolishing a skatchata and several pints of beer at The Portside Inn in MQT post race. :drinkers:

matt aro
xcskiforum 10K

Postby matt aro » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:41 am

Askely, are you doing the long or short race?

If you're doing the long race, expect some big, steep climbs and some very fun downhills. Although some of the downhills can be VERY tricky as there are sharp corners at the bottom...keep your speed in check!

If you're doing the short race, expect some longer downhills with a few technical descents (but not as technical as you'd find in the long race). Expect to spend some time in the track double-poling to keep your speed up....there are also a few flatter sections. Don't forget to take in the scenery! Also, a few k's from the end keep your eye on the horizon to your right as you can see the Superior Dome in the distance....that is the finish line!

matt

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Askel wrote:Cool! Any tips or tricks anybody has to pass on to this racing n00b would certainly be appreciated. I'm just looking to head out and enjoy the event the first time around.

Starts can be mayhem....My first race, I started at the back of my wave and let everyone go off ahead of me--there are a lot of people DP-ing and skating in a very small space, and it's real easy to either step on someone, or get stepped on . Luckily the Noque is a small enough race that this isn't the problem that it is in bigger races (Vasaloppet for example), and things seem to open up pretty quick.

There are times that you will feel that you have the whole trail to yourself--the course is amazingly beautiful--don't feel bad about stopping to enjoy the scenery from time to time.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:37 am

Doing the short race this year. Thanks for the tips.

If all goes well this year, I hope to do the long Bear Chase next.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:30 am

Skate or classic?

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:00 am

enevala wrote:Skate or classic?

Skate for this race.

Although I've been eyein' up those really skinny classic skis as of late. There's a couple of races around here that are classic only that look like fun.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:01 am

Askel wrote:
enevala wrote:Skate or classic?

Skate for this race.

Cool! Have fun and good luck!

You'll be one of the last groups to hit the course, so you'll have some traffic ahead of you to pass through, but it should be pretty spread out by that time.

e.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 am

OK, so this was my first real marathon style ski race. After getting stomped on at the TalviTohinat the weekend before, I was a little nervous. Still, the weather cooperated and things looked pleasant at the start.

Here I am poised at the starting line:

One skier congratulated another after a successful finish:

Gratuitous Malamute shot (wooo woooooo):

Pre-race salute censored by lobster mitts:

"Now what the heck do I use these things for?"

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line:

Engines pumping and thumping in time:

The green light flashes, the flags go up:

Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup:
http://www.feep.org/gallery/albums/2008 ... ce_012.avi

They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank,
Fuel burning fast on an empty tank.
Reckless and wild, they pour through the turns.
Their prowess is potent and secretly stern.
http://www.feep.org/gallery/albums/2008 ... ce_013.avi

OK, so I was a little faster on the last half of the course and the photographers didn't make it in time to catch me at the finish. They still managed to catch the essence of victory on film though:

"So you say you ate 47 Pemmican bars before the race? Wow, I'd think that soup would put you at risk for an explosion."

Great race, really fun course with some nice scenery. It was a really nice day out as well and I think I may have even managed to qualify for the first wave next year. :D

swervy jervy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby swervy jervy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 am

Tough start? I did the half Noque skate two years ago. Started in the second wave as it was my first time in that race. We were delayed in the start while they got a guy off the course who was knocked unconscious from the starting scrum in the first wave. No one noticed the lycra suited lump in the middle of the trail until a minute or two before our gun.

I was subsequently knocked entirely off the course and into the powder in the first downhill. Twice.

It was rowdy as hell for the first ten minutes. And a real fun race.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 am

This was my first real ski mass start, but compared to MTB races, it was pretty tame. Nobody went down anyway.

But the pack did stay bunched up for a while and was moving at a pretty good clip. I went down about 1.5k in trying to pass somebody on a downhill.

Never really thinned out all that much, but by 5k you were mostly skiing with people running the same pace as you.

Return to “Races and Racing”