2016 Birkie

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

2016 Birkie

Postby Burgesse » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:13 am

OK I have done it again - signed up for the 50K skate. This should be no. 21.....(I missed the past 2 for a couple of different reasons) And I get to be in the new "70 Wave" right after skate wave 2. Nice.
Have you all been looking at the long-range weather for Hayward? Looks almost like the T-shirt race of many years ago. I like warm weather and slow skiing! :supz:

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Re: 2016 Birkie

Postby bmullin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 am

We wrote a Birkie thread at the same time! You posted yours first though so I deleted mine.

Just over a week out. I'm sure I'm not the only one coming down with a fever.

4th Birkie
51k Skate
Wave 1 - Bib 1232

The weather is definitely looking interesting. I've been watching the forecast for the last few days and it keeps creeping warmer in the days leading up potentially pushing towards not even dropping below freezing at night. Still some time for it to change, but the odds are on a start closer to 0C than 0F like my previous Birkie experiences.

xchawk
xcskiforum 10K

Postby xchawk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Definitely have the fever here. Will be #5 for me. I'll be in skate wave 3. I'm no grooming expert but can you groom effectively if temps stay above freezing the night before the race?

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Burgesse » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:14 am

Now we don't have anything like the equipment the Birkie groomers use, but we can't keep the snow from sticking to our implements when it's much above 32F. Even our plastic culvert roller clumps up - I've had to abandon it in mid-course in warm weather.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Birkie Fever is high here in Hayward with perfect skiing conditions. I don't have a bib number to report as my confirmation email has not come through. Yes I triple checked every email and spam folder I could remember almost back to junior high. The Birkie staff said it happens, and to just show up with an ID. Am I wrong for wanting the thing printed off and posted on my fridge ?? I may just head into the office and see if they can print me one. I hate the loose ends.

Once again I have probably not built the base I should to make any type of hard push. I will be starting from the front of wave 5 and hope to pick up a wave or two :D and then maybe get some fire under me to stick to an actual training plan instead of just going out :roll:

Looking forward to weather speculation, stories of races, and of course the festivities that the week brings!

PJT
xcskiforum 10K

Postby PJT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:43 am

blckdmnd wrote: I don't have a bib number to report as my confirmation email has not come through. Yes I triple checked every email and spam folder I could remember almost back to junior high. The Birkie staff said it happens, and to just show up with an ID.

I am in the same boat as you. I first noticed the issue when wave assignments came out in August and I did not get an email. Cindy from the Birkie office said then that I was registered and assigned to wave 2, but that there was likely a glitch in their systems that would not allow them to generate an email to my specific address. She also hinted it could happen again in February with the confirmation email, which is exactly what happened. I'm like you, I would really rather not have this loose end heading up to Hayward.

As for weather, it's looking quite warm. Dressing will be straightforward at least. I am going to hold off on race wax until the day before. I have a lot of swix stuff, and my best guess at this point is HF8 and FC08 for the final wax and topcoat. My "warm" skis are ground S1.3 so I will likely be running a structure tool on them before applying fluoros.

This year my son is doing the Barne Birkie for the first time (he's in kindergarten and is just finishing his first season of XC lessons). We gave him the option of skiing with the older kids (ages 5-8) alone or doing the little kids (3-7) race where you can bring a parent along. He wanted one of us to join him out there. So I get an extra 1.2k of "racing" this Friday. I seriously could not be more excited about that. A year ago he couldn't get up if he fell and would typically ski 5 minutes before declaring himself done. Now he's zipping around the classic tracks on our local flat loop, seeking out downhills, and diligently trying to get the hang of herringbone. 8)

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:35 pm

I called the Birkie foundation office with the same problem, and she resent the E-mail per my request and I got it right away. She also said that you don't really need it, but do need a photo ID. I figured it might save time to have it, but probably not. They're usually pretty efficient at registration, especially considering what they have to deal with. Good luck.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:40 pm

After the Duluth race with very fast skis, I'm looking forward to the Birkie. There seems to few decisions. Same skis, same wax. I guess the question is structure.

Last weekend (after the Pre-Birkie) I took a set of 115 Fischers for a spin. I had just got these ground for cold conditions and I was expecting the skis to be very slow. A cold ski. There was an inch of new snow overnight (temp about 29F) and when we started skiing, it was about 30-31F. With a cheapo hydrocarbon wax, the skis were great. They didn't quite match a set with some Start 99 corked in, but they were impressive. Hah, a warm ski. I guess that'll be my backup pair.

Watch it be 15F at the start. :lol:

Jay

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:46 pm

I'm not liking the forecast at all. What a shame, why can't the liquid precipitation and warmth wait until Sunday? But I guess it wouldn't be the Birkie without some nervousness about the weather. The book about the first ten years of the Birkie alludes to this back then, also. It's been several years since the concern was warmth; lately we've had too cold or too much snow as concerns more often, so we're overdue for this. It just sucks when this season has surprisingly good snow and cold for the past couple of months in what we thought would be a terrible year with el nino.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:30 am

Not certain what the fuss about the weather is about? It may be slow at the end of the race but conditions should be decently fast for at least the first half of the race.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:06 am

If Jay has rockets like Nordic Spirit he might win the whole thing!

I'm hoping for better skis than nordic. Should be possible.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:40 pm

I couldn't win the whole thing with a 15 min head start and a biathlon rifle, but yeah, those skis were fun. Part of it is that people kind of stand up on the downhills. They're not very aerodynamic. So good skis and a good tuck go a long way.

The main question is it going to snow on Fri. I remember using C22 at Mora one year and there was just a light dusting of snow overnight and that just killed my ski speed. If it snows Fri night and especially after they groom, then things will get interesting fast. One year with 1-2 inches of mash potato snow, I was passing people like they were dragging tailpipe. Those were a great set of skis with a simple HF8/Cera F wax job.

Jay

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:39 pm

I may have been exaggerating a little bit about your chances. :lol:

My wax geek is low. You're getting me all worried about not having good skis without having an exotic array of skis and waxes to choose from. I've done well in cold conditions, but I have very little experience in warm/wet/new snow conditions.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 pm

The main problem I find, is that someone can pick a set of skis for cold conditions, and they're slow in cold and fast in warm. I've also had a set picked for warm, and they plowed (too stiff) in most conditions except in the spring when the track was rock hard. (The skis were fairly useless.) I think the local shops are better at picking now than they used to be.

Anyway, I try to do some testing each year to get a feel for my skis. About three years ago (a day before the Birkie) I found a huge difference between skis. Two years ago and last year, I did testing a week before the Birkie. (No real surprises.) This year, I stumbled on some warm skis. Anyway, it's good to take your skis, wax them the same, and test them in some extreme conditions (cold or warm, deep snow, etc). The results can be very surprising. Maybe 15 years ago, I found that my skis which were marketed as being excellent cold, firm tracks skis were slow in cold snow. My "cold" Fischers are good in warm hard conditions. Don't assume. Even if you have two pair, I think it's worth checking them out.

I don't know, I get into it.

A lot of people think that it would be better if waxing and ski differences were taken out of the sport. I like that it adds an element of chance, and the well prepared have a better shot of winning the ski battle.

Ben, if you had good skis at Duluth, and I think you can have good skis on Sat. You only need one pair.

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Good luck to the classic skiers. I think many of the later wave skiers will struggle with above freezing conditions. Seems like an Oslo or klister day to me, but the recommendations seem to lean towards hard wax. Maybe they're expecting snow on Fri. Anyway, i think it could be a tough classic day.

Jay

Return to “Races and Racing”