2016 Birkie

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Re: 2016 Birkie

Postby UPrSKr » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Wow, Jay, good luck. I have a friend from Houghton who is going through the A-fib since late fall and is still waiting to resume rigorous activities. Giving up the alcohol and caffeine might be permanent for him. It seems like a number of skiers I know are having these episodes now. I have the PVCs. My resting pulse skips every 4th or 5th beat. If these are a precursor of A-fib, I could be next. I'm thinking about cutting back on the alcohol and caffeine. I don't do lots of red-line workouts anymore, but I'm not sure if cutting out intervals would help or not. I've already reduced the number or races I do to 4 ski races and just a few running races, but that's mainly because I'm finding racing to be a bit of a distraction from other things I could be doing. But I obviously still enjoy it to some degree.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Yeah, we'll see how the body responds. I'm still doing some research, but I think there's an element of bad luck to a lot of this. Whatever the number is, 1 out of 100, and buddy, you happen to be the one.

I'm kind of hoping the whole thing blows over for a couple years, but maybe my head is in the sand.

Jay

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:39 am

Jay, I talked to my friend last night and he is going in for a catheter procedure (or possibly two) that should hopefully remedy his A-fib. I am now hearing that with the proper treatment of A-fib the prospect for return to normal level of activity (including racing) is actually quite good. There is also some controversy about whether racing has anything to do with causing A-fib in the first place, or that "luck" is the biggest factor. Studies and statistical analysis can often be misleading. Let us know how things progress. Take care.
Ken

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:42 am

It seems that overnight, I dropped back into rhythm.

That's got to be better than being shocked back, right?

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:58 am

Ken, thanks. Yeah, I think the racing/training is a risk factor similar to sleep apnea, but it's true that if, e.g., type A personalities have a higher risk of afib (due to stress), and type A personalities are more highly represented in xc skiing/racing, that skiing might not be the problem but stress.

Maybe I should work on the medical card for glaucoma. :D

Jay

Return to “Races and Racing”