Flying to the Birkie

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Val LiCon
xcskiforum 10K

Flying to the Birkie

Postby Val LiCon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:38 pm

I've signed up for the Birkie this season. 55K of classic. Can't wait. :lol: Since I'll be flying from California to Wisc. I have resigned myself to the idea of paying the extra baggage fees for skis and poles. What about flying with all my waxes and magic juices and powders to make my classic skis work? Are there techs available on site to help with waxing and ski prep? Should I plan on buying what I need when I'm out there? I'm sure we are all pretty comfortable with our own box and it's contents and would prefer not to experiment with whatever we can find on race day? Thanks in advance for any information.
Last edited by Val LiCon on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Flying to the Birkie

Postby davidb » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:34 pm

No tips?
I'm in the same boat as Val, but I'm thinking as a first timer, with no knowledge of Wisconsin waxing, maybe I'll just wuss out and skate.
Hope someone will chime in with some info though

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:09 pm

For glide wax you may want to utilize the services of a place like Boulder Nordic Sport. However, I would have my own kick waxes with me or plan on buying on site so that the skis can be kick waxed or adjusted race morning.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:22 am

I flew to the Birkie in 2015 and packed my wax box, in an abbreviated form, inside my luggage that I checked. I didn't bring an iron or profile bench though. I borrowed a friends at the hotel to use for the Birkie ski prep.

I'm not sure about all airlines but Delta considers a ski bag and boot bag as one checked item. My large luggage bag was my "Boot Bag."

I'll see you on the Classic trail on 2017.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Val LiCon
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Val LiCon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks Montana,
you pretty much confirmed what I am planning. I would imagine wax removers, aerosol klister, and spray flouros might not be acceptable. Hard kick and glide waxes are probably OK. Then I can plan on purchasing what I need to fill in the gaps when I am there. I've never done the Birkie but something tells me there will not be a shortage of supplies to be had.
I'll look for you on the trail, but I bet we will be hard to find.

Val Licon

Return to “Races and Racing”