Therese Johaug doped

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Therese Johaug doped

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 am

JeffOYB wrote:Is it conceivable that an effective PED could be introduced via lip balm? If not, and it would be detectible, then the only reason to have it in the lip balm would be to commit a crime AGAINST the person using! ...Get them busted.

It is no crime to produce a lip balm containing clostebol.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:14 pm

I've concluded that Johaug is basically innocent, and that the punishment meted out by FIS/Wada etc, borders on cruelty. Consider: beyond the 18 month suspension and the destruction of her good name, she has lost, what? 10 million dollars in endorsements. Probably close to that if future deals are considered. All this because she followed the direction of her doctor and missed a small logo which ws supposedly on packaging.

Others may disagree, but that's the way I see it.

Frankly, I'm going to think twice before purchasing a Polar HRM, or a Craft Jacket et,al; any of FIS TV sponsors.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 pm

I agree but still find it to be the correct punishment.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Disproportionate and unjust!

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:20 am

It is, but her excuse is exactly the same kind as the real dopers use so can't really be different.

Studies show good looking people get off more lightly in the legal system, and Johaug is such a merited athlete too, but nothing swayed them this time and I applaud them for it. It shows it's not just a Russian witch hunt.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:57 am

I see you're from Oslo. Sometimes, I wonder if Norwegians, generally, have a real difficulty with the concept of "The punishment must fit the crime." One example: Brevic's 20 year sentence for murdering 80 kids.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 pm

davidb wrote:I see you're from Oslo. Sometimes, I wonder if Norwegians, generally, have a real difficulty with the concept of "The punishment must fit the crime." One example: Brevic's 20 year sentence for murdering 80 kids.

You see, here in Europe some people and nations believe that if you keep on chanting the mantra "human nature is basically good", all evil will disappear from the world.
After all, brevic is a good-hearted guy who just had a difficult childhood - a reasonable excuse for the slap on the wrist he got...

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:12 am

skiffrace wrote:After all, brevic is a good-hearted guy who just had a difficult childhood - a reasonable excuse for the slap on the wrist he got...

Anders Behring Breivik (now Fjotolf Hansen) is most likely "totally controlled by the Jews too" to use an expression by legendary chess master Bobby Fischer. How can we believe the official story of Utöya when it e.g. contains testimonies like that of Adrian Pracon?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8_eMw24tUU

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Sentencing is generally mild here and works quite well, and it seems crazy that Breivik only got a 21 years custodial sentence, but 21 years is max here. However, it's still an old European country with the 'old boys system' at its core, so there's no doubt he will be held in custody indefinitely, even if that would be out of all protocol and precedence.

Speaking of old boys club, there's nothing more blatant than the old sports organizations, and you should have heard the clamoring from them that Johaug should get off scot-free, even before they had the full facts. Media too. It was embarrassing. The idea is apparently that national treasures are above it all.

It would be the same as if Marion Jones or Lance Armstrong... No wait.. ;)

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 am

You seem to be missing something called context.

Jones, Armstrong et al didn't freely admit to missing a logo on lip balm packaging ( does anyone know for sure it was even there?) Johaug was up front all the way. The dopers that need to be punished, and aren't,employ complex, inconceivable masking strategies that no one can control.

BTW, how'd M.Sunby get off so lightly. Seemed like a deliberate attempt to deceive and gain advantage.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Sundby used legal asthma medicine and is well known for his asthma so that's aboveboard, it was just a failure to apply for that and its 'evaporator' -inhalator or whatever the dispenser is called. He lost a whole World Cup AND Tour de Ski so I wouldn't say that was getting off lightly. On the contrary.

But more worryingly was the apparent widespread use on other athletes before competition where really seemed to have been to gain performance. Yes it was legal, but the idea of it was not nice to associate with the national team.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:15 pm

davidb wrote:(...) a logo on lip balm packaging (does anyone know for sure it was even there?)

Aino-Kaisa Saarinen posted a picture of the box with the doping warning directly after the scandal was publicly revealed. It was very clear that the warning was hard to miss. Norwegian singer-songwriter Jon Niklas Rönning sang in his sarcastic "Johaugs vise" (Johaug's song) about the warning: "men sånt er ikke lett å förstå når det står på ett fremmet språk" ("but such is not easy to understand when it is in a foreign language"). That song is deplorably taken down from YouTube.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Wait! Are you suggesting Saarinen rummaged around in Johaug's trash to find the specific package she used?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:45 am

davidb wrote:Wait! Are you suggesting Saarinen rummaged around in Johaug's trash to find the specific package she used?

No, she went to the same drug store and photographed a package of Trofodermin.

trotro
xcskiforum 10K

Postby trotro » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 am

JeffOYB wrote:Is it conceivable that an effective PED could be introduced via lip balm? If not, and it would be detectible, then the only reason to have it in the lip balm would be to commit a crime AGAINST the person using! ...Get them busted.

More likely the lipbalm was an excuse for the PEDs found in Johaug. Anyone know the quantities involved?

You can buy quite a lot of drugs over the counter in Italy. Stuff you can't get without a prescription in the rest of Europe. The doping labels are pretty clear on the packets I've bought in Italy, they stand out for a casual purchaser, I would imagine that people involved in professional sport would not miss them. The tube may not have had the same warning as the cardboard packet.

Return to “Races and Racing”