Race Suits, your thoughts?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Race Suits, your thoughts?

Postby blckdmnd » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Every race I show up to I always see plenty of pretty cool looking race suits. Some xc store suits or team suits, or even just the random lumberjack suit :D

For those of you that use them what do you like about them for a race setting? Are they going to increase performance? Perhaps a boost of confidence on the start line? The team aspect is pretty cool to think about as well.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Race Suits, your thoughts?

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:26 pm

All you need is tights and a jersey, so a bunch of "part time" racers use cycle clothing. The problem is that suits are usually pretty damn expensive (for what they are.) I just looked, and new moon has a suit for $105, and that's not bad.

Jay

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:59 am

Go with a two piece for washroom duties. The tops seem to be the perfect balance between warmth and ventilation if you get the right amount of under shirt for the temperature you are racing in. I would not want to be caught in the woods over night with a race suit though.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 am

My mistake. I thought it was $105 for the suit. It's $105 for each piece or $200 for the suit. It seems suits are a fashion thing, so you can find them used. I still have an old one piece, and it has a two way zipper, so I never had a problem with the bathroom stuff, but it can be a hassle sitting in a porta-poty. (sp?)

Jay

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:38 am

:D the Porta pot wisdom is great! I'm only just growing into a semi serious citizen racer. I'll look more secondhand for a good buy or something on closeout. No need to spend good money on non essentials.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Even Petter Northug's recent private race suit was mocked for looking like "something a shop teacher from the 80s would wear" :D so no guarantees to be a hit with the fashion police no matter what you try..

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:58 am

Two things about race suits come to mind for me.

1) I definitely feel there is a performance boost. Both real and placebo effect. If you go from skiing in baggy clothing to the tight fitting ski suit (or tights and a cycling jersey) you can feel the reduction in wind resistance. I also feel so much less encumbered when I ditch the warm-ups and go ski. Plus you feel fast :)

2) The team aspect is also pretty cool for me. I ski with/for my local shop and we've got some fairly distinctive suits. Its fun to be able to pick out your teammates from a long ways away. This goes for people you know and people you don't. If people are in team kit I always feel like I can go start a conversation even if I don't know them.

That said they are expensive. They should last you quite a while though if taken care of so consider it an investment.

Ben

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:05 am

Curious minds would like to know: do all the racers donning the skin-tight racing suits have the proper physique for such garb?
Because a lot of the "Euro-pro"-fakester road bicycle riders I see would improve the world by wrapping their bodies in baggy clothes instead of skin-tight lycra shorts and jerseys (yours truly included) .

ps. this is a public-service message.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:18 am

skiffrace wrote:Curious minds would like to know: do all the racers donning the skin-tight racing suits have the proper physique for such garb?
Because a lot of the "Euro-pro"-wannabe road bicycle riders I see (yours truly included) would improve the world by wrapping their bodies in baggy clothes instead of skin-tight lycra shorts and jerseys.

ps. this is a public-service message.

Ha, ha! You are funny, Tom, and of course there are many amateur racers that do not look half as good in race suits as e.g. Stina Nilsson or Heidi Weng. Have a look at Vasaloppet!

Return to “Races and Racing”