Birkebeiner Course Info

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Val LiCon
xcskiforum 10K

Birkebeiner Course Info

Postby Val LiCon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Can anyone direct me to a source to start getting updates on the Birkie course and snow conditions?

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Birkebeiner Course Info

Postby bmullin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:36 pm

The American Birkebeiner?

Such as the groomer reports on their website?
http://www.birkie.com/trail/#latest-trail-report

Or the ones on Skinny Ski?
http://www.skinnyski.com/trails/traildetail.asp?Id=132

If you meant the real Birkie, then I'm no help there :)

Val LiCon
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Val LiCon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks. This is exactly what i need.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:44 pm

There's also a group of short videos posted recently but made in late January on Ari's Birkie Guide website. You can see those videos here:
http://birkieguide.com/the-guide/trail-moments/
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am

The trail is currently in great shape with plenty of snow. No problems with the trail or lake for the weekend's events. However, the forecast is very unfavorable. I consider a full race with a main street finish unlikely, due to the forecast. Sure hope I'm wrong.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:39 am

I agree on the dire forecast. The Pre-Birkie had fabulous conditions. You could tell the trail was thin on the south end though. I'm pretty sure my poles were clinking on the icy base in a few places. North of OO it seemed great... but the forecast is frightening.

Hoping for the best, mentally preparing for the worst.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 am

Watching the weather myself. Leaving Montana 2/14 and heading to Wisconsin. The forecast is definitely iffy. But, as we say in Montana, "It is what it is."
I was there in 2000 when the race was cancelled. I was there in 1981 when the race was postponed two weeks. I've been there every year since 1979. I'll be there 2/25. Just hoping for the best.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:24 am

Not only are the low temps going to be 40F for a few days (wow), but there is talk of significant rain, 0.25 to 0.75 inch.

I'd say we basically didn't have winter this year. I was able to ski about 6 times on natural snow around here (MPLS). It looks like fat biking may become the new skiing.

Jay

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:04 pm

I wonder what the ABSF has for a contigency plan. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one calling the shots on it all. Trucking in snow perhaps? A shortened race? I have to believe the north end could survive. But as Ben said the south end by fish hatchery is in trouble.

Morrie
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Morrie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Remember when they put the classic trail in for the first half to separate the two disciplines. Another benefit with the classic trail was giving them the option to have everyone ski out on the skate trail, turn around at OO, ski back on the classic trail and finish at Telemark/new start area. If the warm up does wreak havoc on the trail, hopefully they can use the northern portions to put something together. I would think that there are enough trial options with the Birkie, skate, classic, kortelopet, north end and telemark trails, they could string together a decent amount of K’s for a race. Might be a little congested, but it’s better than not skiing!

Kevin

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:28 am

Entire Birkie trail closing tonight to protect base. Stay off!

Things I'm hearing: still working on full course. Efforts focused on South end of trail. They have moved more snow into some spots around Mosquito Brook, etc. The narrow fish hatchery section is being bypassed and food station moved back to hwy. 77. Working on raising the trail across the lake.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:06 am

Some hope...

The latest snow models predict significant snow for Birkieland somewhere around the Friday-Saturday timeframe.

This is accumulated snow totals as of 6am Saturday morning (25 Feb.) Looks like 6" minimum.

Direct link: http://modelweather.com/gfs212.php?sour ... ow&fhr=240

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:57 pm

They've been saved by a snow storm in the past. That's why moving the race one week earlier would sometimes be a big problem. It used to be that the race had to be in the end of Feb or it might be -20F on race morning. Now they should consider moving two weeks earlier.

Jay

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Please send help.

I went for a jog today to the sounds of constant dripping and watching water flood down the sides of ditches. I thought the trail could handle the 40 degree days but multiple days touching 60 is unbelievable. I went for a drive to check out what I could see at the southern trailheads and it wasn't as bad as it could be I suppose.

Ben Popp did a podcast on birkieguide.com which is worth a listen if your looking for some info. Sounds like tomorrow( monday) is a big day of trail recon and decision making. I am looking forward to the week of events either way.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 am

Facebook update - no downtown finish. Sounds like OO north is the strongest chance of a race

Return to “Races and Racing”