Birkebeiner Course Info

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Birkebeiner Course Info

Postby Blah » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 am

It's pouring at my house in Minneapolis. I think if it's like this up North there is a good chance the race is toast.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Yeah, I agree. The snow will not dry out on Tue, Wed, Thr, and then the crew has to groom snow that's turning to ice (or is ice) on Fri. (Pushing the Korte to Sat.) The webcam is now not showing the start, but OO looks like gray ice. It's hard to know if equipment (snowmobiles) can go across this after the rain to haul snow. The Birkie crew will do everything they can to make a course, but (from the Cities) it seems pointless except to show they really tried. Where is all the water going to go? Even if the course was all artificial snow, I'm not sure they could pull off a race due to puddles at the bottom of hills. Brings up an interesting infrastructure project.

My guess is a tour event with free beer.

Jay

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm

It's raining nice and steady up here. The Birkie cams are back up and not very promising.

What a bummer.

Would the Pepsi challenge survive for next week?
Last edited by blckdmnd on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 pm

The cams are back up and running. The start area is starting to look slushy. I hope they make an honest assessment and call by tomorrow evening, and not try to force everyone to show up to see if the race is going to somehow happen. I don't want to go there just to party, but those that do will make the most of it, either way I seriously doubt that the beer will be free. LOL.

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:20 pm

The cams look terrible. They really looked okay this morning before the rain. Still a lot of rain coming. Without substantial snow on Friday, there's no way they can hold it I presume.

I think they should go for the Hail Mary Pass - postpone the Birkie and Korte to Sunday. If enough snowfall arrives, groom it and hold the race. If not enough arrives, cancel.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Looks like the course is holding up well:

Jay

xchawk
xcskiforum 10K

Postby xchawk » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:11 pm

If only there weren't two more 50+ degree days to go. I like the Sunday idea. Would save the trouble of making a trip up there on Thursday to get ahead of a potential snowstorm only to see the race cancelled due to the storm being a bust.

Morrie
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Morrie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Not looking good...

With unseasonable weather again today, the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation (ABSF) has announced that Birkie Week events previously scheduled for Friday, February 24 have been moved to Saturday, February 25. These events include the Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races. In addition, ABSF officials have determined there are three possible scenarios for Saturday, February 25 events.
•Scenario #1 – With some snow remaining on the trails from the American Birkebeiner Trailhead to the OO Trailhead (at Highway OO), Birkie staff are monitoring trail conditions. With hopes of measurable snow on Friday, there is a very slim chance that a one-way, timed race could be held (American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races).
•Scenario #2 – If there is enough snow and conditions are such that 10,000 plus participants can safely ski, however unsafe for a competitive race, there is a possibility of an untimed, open-track, looped-event on the Birkie Trail (north of OO) for the American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet and Prince Haakon events.
•Scenario #3 – If snow is unavailable, 2017 will be a Birkie, Korte & Prince Haakon like none other. Participants will be part of a first-ever winter Birkie run and street party celebration in downtown Hayward. Live music, Birkie Brew-Ski, food vendors, and a festival atmosphere!

As always, the safety of our participants is first and foremost in our minds, followed by our goal of creating the best possible participant experience for all. Both things are weighed and considered with each and every decision we make. Once final decisions are made, you’ll be the first to know. Keep checking back for updates!

Morrie
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Morrie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Just watched the video update and looks like it isn't going to happen.

Have to give a standing ovation to the entire Birkie staff for trying to do everything they can to make this work! hats off to all of you!!!!

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Last ABSF Facebook video said less then 1% chance of a race from start to OO.

What's sad is the timing of this warm up and inch of rain. The trail will most likely be skiable for another month in a week.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Well UPrSKr, you didn't get your answer.

The Birkie got blasted in the opinion circles last time (2000?) they waited until Fri night to cancel the race. "They made sure everyone came to town before they cancelled," was the complaint. There might be a point there.

Blckdmnd, do you have any idea if there is a lot of water sitting at the bottom of hills?

Thanks,

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Initially, the storm track was a bulls-eye for Hayward (and MPLS). then the track wandered south. "Typical" I thought. Now it looks like the track is wandering north again and kind of a bulls-eye for Hayward again. Huh.

Jay

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:59 pm

It looks like a probable 6" Friday, but maybe a foot or a little more. Will that be enough to cover a marginal, nonexistent, or water covered base? Can it be groomed firm enough quickly enough to hold up to thousands of skiers? I don't have the answers, but when they say a 1% chance of an actual race happening, it seems to me that they have already made up their mind. I've made the decision not to go and the group I stay with are coming up here to ski for the weekend. Plus I haven't run since November and don't plan to start just yet. Hopefully next year will be better!

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Glacier Glide » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Pulled the plug today on flight and rental car. Not interested in running, and while the party sounds like fun, it is not worth dropping another $1,000. That purple bib is not getting any closer.
Jeff

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 pm

The timing of this storm sucks. If it was today, it would be perfect. I appreciate the efforts by the Birkie crew. The fact is that they can't make a call today. You can't take a forecasted snowfall for granted, especially with how inaccurate snow forecasts have been this winter. That said, it appears that snow is becoming more and more likely - the picture should get more clear tomorrow. The problem is grooming it overnight, starting from scratch, for thousands of skiers. Those of us that ski farther back in the pack knows what happens to the trail even under ideal preparation.

With the forecast, I feel like option #2 is most likely, an open track event similar to 2007 and giving Birkie credit. Option #1 is possible, but they make it sound unlikely. I'm not sure if option #3 will (or should) provide Birkie credit for those of us seeking the purple bib.

We will know more tomorrow. It should be noted that this weather has created other problems that have nothing to do with lack of snow on the trail. I hear the parking fields are muddy - this could pose a problem, and perhaps for medical evacuation also. Dropping a foot of snow on it without freezing first actually makes those problems worse.

Return to “Races and Racing”