Birkebeiner Course Info

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Birkebeiner Course Info

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 am

Jeff, I think it's smart to pull the plug if you have money on the line. I have free lodging, so I just burn some vacation preparing to leave.

The storm track now appears to "come up short" of Hayward. TV is showing 3-4 inches. Of course even if there wasn't a storm, the Birkie folks have to have some event. It's like the bride backing out of a wedding during the ceremony. (I was best man at the wedding like that.) The reception still goes forward because it's paid for.

Jay

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:04 am

I'm not sure what it means that the gate across the trail at OO is gone this morning. Meanwhile, the start area has really deteriorated.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am

The tracks make it look like they took out a big groomer. I have a photo in this thread from a couple days ago without those tracks.

Jay

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:31 am

A base (with puddles) is still holding north of OO! https://www.facebook.com/AmericanBirkeb ... nref=story

"2.22.17 (10:00am) – Trail & Event Update: Here is the latest update from Birkieland. Right now, it is above freezing in the area. There are some puddles on the trail, however, the trail crew is hard at work siphoning off water and repairing portions as needed. We have about 24 more hours of above freezing temperatures before the weather turns in our favor. With below freezing temps in our future, along with snow in the forecast, we’re going all in with efforts for a ski event of some sort (Scenario 1 & 2 are both in play) on the Birkie Trail north of Highway OO (east of Seeley). Even if snow arrives, there are significant infrastructure needs behind the scenes that need to be addressed. We need to be able to safely get people in and out of the area, have parking available, and make certain the Birkie Trail is safe and accessible to all. Thursday events are ready to roll! Please check back often as schedules and details are continually updating/changing. "

Come on Aaron Rodgers, throw the hail mary. I want to ski on Saturday.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:56 am

At the moment there is a large tent set up next to the Korte start area. Base looks skiable. Think late spring skiing base/boilerplate. I saw one pisten bully out next to the oo trailhead also a snowmobile implement. Beodecker Rd crossing looked pretty good. I have pictures I will try to upload but site says they are too large. Not sure how to resize for the site

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:00 am

Rain just started in hayward

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:26 pm

I posted pictures of what was viewable from the road at OO and Boedecker on midwest nordic Facebook page if you want to view them

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:04 pm

I think events like the Birkie and the Noque have gotten too big to fail, and now have enough peripheral activities to insure that they won't. From a ski racing standpoint either the race is on or it isn't. Races at all levels can be cancelled for various reasons all the time. No big deal. The hugeness of this particular event, and the travel and other sacrifices involved, are what makes it so difficult when things go badly. I always seem to have some of my best skiing when I make the hard decision to skip an event I planned on doing and go do ski someplace I would have otherwise not been able to. This morning I skied from Lac La Belle up to Delaware and down to Eagle Harbor and back, mainly on the snowmobile trail with a little off trail crust skiing where it was frozen enough. Pretty solid foot of base on the trail with a few thin spots. The 2km stretch down along Lac La Belle was a little dirty with lots of moguls, but otherwise good skating considering the trails have not been groomed for a few days during this extended thaw. Around 50km in four hours, and zero sleds. Done by noon. I'm looking forward to skiing at (hopefully groomed) MTU trails tomorrow with other Birkie defectors.

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 pm

It looks like they still haven't announced the decision, which I find disappointing (in the abstract, I wasn't entered in the event).

The Lake Placid Loppet - which is several orders of magnitude smaller - has a policy of making decisions of go/no-go on it's event by a certain, announced time (I think it's 3pm of the Wednesday before the Saturday race). Weeks out, we know when we will know, which helps in planning travel and options.

Of course, events can be cancelled at any time, even during them due to emergencies (my club promoted a big regional bike race that was shut down by NYPD and US Secret Service with a few miles to go.... true story). But with weather/road/trail conditions that are known to be borderline, the call really should be made a few days out.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:03 pm

I was best man in a wedding where the bride backed out. We (groom, bride and I) went back to the house and they were wondering what to do. I said, "Everything is paid for and all your closest friends and relatives are here. Go to the reception." They did.

I think the Birkie is in a similar position. Everything is paid for and everything is in place. If there was no snow storm, they would still do something, hell, hike from Telemark to OO. Part of it is also that the town financially relies on this event (so they're not going to tell people to go home.)

If they get 3-4" of snow, I think they'll race the Elite and "open track" the rest. I kind of doubt they could get enough snow and pack it to run a race for the masses. This also depends on figuring out the parking situation. I think those will freeze by Sat morn.

Jay

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Everything is paid for by the Birkie organization, and a lot of aspects of travel.

But for people coming from afar, flying to not ski is not good. I've got two friends racing this year - one really wants to ski and race (we don't have many opportunities around here) so he pulled the plug yesterday, and is going to a different 50K on Saturday.

The other is flying out and may end up not skiing.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 pm

i think they have been completely transparent that the chance of holding a ski event is slim. I admire that they have kept the door open to holding an event if this snowstorm pans out. Ben Popp, the Birkie Director, said there was a 1% chance they would hold a mass race. I think if that isn't enough to help you make a decision about what to do you likely have trouble with many other choices in life.

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Glacier Glide » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:34 pm

I agree, Ben has been pretty up front with his assessment. Like Jay said, they are going to do something which will be determined by Mother Nature. That is fair enough for me. I will stay home and watch the US ladies in the World Champ skiathalon on Saturday via livestream and then take my granddaugher out skiing on the new skate skis I bought her. Good luck and have fun to those who venture to Hayward/Cable and have a beer for those of us who sat this one out.
Jeff

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:49 am

I don't think they've said the time/day they'll make the call. That's really important to help others plan. Perhaps I've missed that.

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 am

I'm not sure what it is you don't understand. They have been very transparent. It all hinges on snowfall Friday. If they had to make a call based on what's on the trail now, it would be no ski race. There are three options on the table depending on what happens. If you want a traditional Birkie, that's out of the equation. Something will happen, what it is depends on the track of the storm. I don't blame people traveling a long ways from skipping. The majority of Birkie participants live relatively close. The majority of us don't do it as competitive racers.

It's clear that they will never truly cancel it again. It just may take a very different form based on conditions. They are handling a terrible situation very well.

Return to “Races and Racing”