Birkebeiner Course Info

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Birkebeiner Course Info

Postby jt10000 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 am

"The majority of Birkie participants live relatively close."

Oh sorry, I was under the impression it was a World Loppet event and had lots of people from all over the place. I knew it was gigantic, but didn't realize it's a mainly a giant local event.

Yeah, with local events that don't involve much travel, organizations I've been involved with announce the race is in jeopardy early on, and give the go/no-go announcement the day before at the latest. Glad to see the Birkie is up to that standard.

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 am

It is a Worldloppet event that gets people from around the globe. To those people, they made it clear several days ago that the usual race wasn't happening.

But by far most registrations are from Wisconsin and Minnesota. Of 10,000 participants, only a few hundred are really racing. The show will go on in some form for the people that want to show up regardless.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:30 am

This event cost a million dollars to put on. I doubt the races that cancel early have even half that expense so you may have to forgive them for not just cancelling. The Birkie is doing everything they can to give the majority of their paying customers an event. In my opinion I am glad they are pushing it out as long as possible to try to get skiing. Tuesday morning they gave the update of 1% chance of a race. There has been a slight glimmer of hope with the "all in" move for a ski event. If you travel from distance for a ski race the consequences of that decision is on you the minute you sign up for the ski race.

There will always be a small percentage that isn't happy no matter the outcome. I'm personally impressed with the ABSF this week with Ben Popp leading the way. I could not do it better.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:52 am

I live 15 minutes south of OO with about an inch of new fluffy snow on the ground. It looks as though OO has not received any bit of what are getting a little further south. This storm tracked too far south from the looks of it. Hoping I am wrong.

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Ugh, they only needed a couple of inches to put on a quality event. Taking a drive around the north end of the Birkie trail showed a base remaining. What an unfortunate busted forecast.

Sounds like fun skiing a 5K loop tomorrow and a party. See you there!

Return to “Races and Racing”