Book Across The Bay - Ashland WI Ever done it?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Book Across The Bay - Ashland WI Ever done it?

Postby blckdmnd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:58 pm

I have done the book Across the bay a couple times, it's a pretty relaxed 10k with one small hill ( a speed bump of snow on the lake) . There are some pretty good skiers that show up on the front row but mostly just cruisers and walkers beyond that. They throw a pretty good after party with a huge tent , beer, and a band. I'll be up there tomorrow. I have a few in my group that are pretty competitive, including the top female skier last year.

I have no idea what to do for a wax setup or if it will even matter. I have a pair of Speed max plus that are juiced up from last week's pre birkie that were the best skis I've ever had compared to the skiers around me. I am thinking I may just roll with those maybe use a light brush on them a couple times Otherwise I have a stiff pair of rossi delta course with a uni warm grind that felt good on the lake ( lac courte Oreilles in Hayward) today.

Anyone else done this race in the past? Doing it this year? Any advice for a wax setup ? I am a novice wax tech. Looking forward to a fun event.

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Book Across The Bay - Ashland WI Ever done it?

Postby lkm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:33 am

I've done it for many years and will be there tonight, no matter what the conditions are it's always a good time! Check the videos they are posting on their facebook page - it's still holding now but there's 8 hours of sun to go.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 am

What a night. Our group of 3 skiers heading up from Hayward in the early afternoon. We all wondering what to make of the book Across the bay after seeing a Facebook update showing a race surface of standing water and slush. We all decided to head up and check it out at least for the band a craft beer and a couple laughs.

I ended up using my training skis, a pair of rossignol delta course with a warm weather grind with a mix of rex lf, hf purple. It didn't end up mattering at all.

We got dropped of at the lake . We all shared a good laugh at the conditions we were looking at. There was some slush but mostly standing water on the ice. We decided at the very least you could double pole the race and get through safely.

I warmed up for all of 5 mins to get the feel of the skiing.

The start was pretty clean, someone to my right went down hard in a puddle, he ended up flying by me down the course. Basically the race was a mix of go hard then back off because you got scared of falling in the water when it got deep. I double poled the first 1.5k and then started to get a little bit of bravery and switched to a extremely light kick v2 in order to limit the plowing of water/slush. I did this for 5k and started to get caught by people doing a hard v1( for extra balance it looked). I switched to a v1 and wished I would have done that the whole time. I finished in 35 mins , good enough for a placement in the 30's . Our reigning female champ ended up winning again after a mix up with the timing from people walking over the finish line.

Overall not a race to hang your hat on but a memory I will never forget, also it was a pretty good workout. I don't know if I will ever have a day of skiing like this again.

Next up the coin flip chance of a birkie! Think snow.

lkm
xcskiforum 40K

Postby lkm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:42 am

That was certainly the most "interesting" conditions I've ever skied in. I learned that a combination of deep water & slush with glare ice underneath is surprisingly skiable in a worst case scenario. They recommended walking, which I was set to do with boots and yak tracks. At the last minute I saw many others with skis, so I switched to ski gear. I'm glad I did.

Return to “Races and Racing”