Birkie Backup Plan --GBC or Pepsi Challenge

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Birkie Backup Plan --GBC or Pepsi Challenge

Postby blckdmnd » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm

I am currently slotted as a wave 5 birkie skate skier. I put in my first real season of training this year and stood a great chance to move up in the waves quite a bit. I had a decent 26k Pre Birkie which I now regret not doing the 42k in order to have a qualifying time to move up.

My thought is to do the Pepsi challenge or great bear chase to put down a solid time to submit for next year's wave placement. I haven't skied either area, does anyone have any experience with these races? I'm leaning toward pepsi challenge due to ability to travel on race day.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Birkie Backup Plan --GBC or Pepsi Challenge

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Both are quality events. Go ahead and do the Pepsi, great race, but don't blow it out on the first lap, The Bear Chase is easier if you're looking to nail a tine. Much, much smaller hills, but you could also end up in deep snow if it snows.

Jay

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Here is an elevation profile comparison between the 2016 Birkie (red) and the 2015 Pepsi (blue). Pepsi is two laps. You have that initial 2km climb, and then the next 12k are deceiving on the plot, they are pretty pitchy steep climbs so it isn't easy. Then get your climbing legs on because you go up for a long time. The 3k downhill run to the finish is nice though.

As Jay said, save something for lap two.

I think I might do Pepsi. Still trying to see through the fog of no Birkie depression. I'm signed up for the Fat Bike Birkie so unless that gets cancelled too I am not available for the Great Bear Chase. It was a nice race last year, but I was completely fried on ski racing and it was a death march for me.

PepsiVsBirkie.jpg
PepsiVsBirkie.jpg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 819 times

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks for posting the elevation profile. I see what your saying about wanting something for lap 2. I too am experiencing an odd funk from the melt down and losing the Birkie. Running instead of skiing has a way of making me feel like ive lost all my fitness in a 10 day period. I am just going to have a fun, spirited ski and check out the course and if the skis are right let it rip.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 pm

They posted today that they have to modify the course because of beaver damn flooding. With a little digging I was able to find what I think was the activity on Strava.

https://www.strava.com/activities/882156276

Basically get rid of the first 4k of my elevation plot and start there. Then where you hit the big climbs, insert about two more of similar size to replace to add back the first 4k and the other few k that got cut out for flooding.

In other words, they added more hills!

Return to “Races and Racing”