Diggins at Davos?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Diggins at Davos?

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 pm

She did great. But it looks like she's skiing over her head. Passion is lifting her higher than skill. She's looking a little choppy. But she sure has FIGHT!
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Diggins at Davos?

Postby Neuro » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:44 am

Diggins is known for being the absolute best going downhill. Her World Cup win in Toblach last year was won at the last downhill section to the finish line as she was behind before that.

Gutsy is really the word, but look also at her superior posture compared to the others and it's clear where she gets a lot of the time. (this is from Lillehammer 2017)

Surprised not more are copying her.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 am

4 time medalist at World Champs is skiing over her head??? Yeah...ok...

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm not convinced. I think she needs to get her arms up in front of her face and out of the slip stream. I wouldn't be surprised if the Norwegian tuck position was developed in a wind tunnel.

Also, I wonder about her supposed "sloppy technique;" maybe her head wobbles back and forth a bit (so what ?), but her weight transfer is early and right on.

Maybe quick on downhills because good skis, or just balls.

At that level, everything matters.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:29 pm

True general downhill technique is good like many on the American team like Caldwell for example, but believe the tuck position is the big differentiator. It can't be the skis as Diggins is consistently faster on downhill parts.

Aerodynamically, I believe arms don't count for as much as the head, just look at speed skiing where the big thing is the helmet and getting a smooth flow over the top of the body.

I don't know, but don't think the Norwegian team has been in a wind tunnel. Even if it's a successful team and has reasonable budget, just look at the last World Championship and Olympics for how they mess up basic waxing. Or team sprint men last WC where they didn't even have figured out obvious things that free skating will block any moves on the inside.

Return to “Races and Racing”