crazy rain race at TdS -- another near 30kmh ave!

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

crazy rain race at TdS -- another near 30kmh ave!

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Rainy stage 5 15k that was more like 14.7k finished in under 30 mins. And it was a flat course! Huge pack throughout the race. Lots of crashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10UXb5Fue6w

crazy that Tonseth had so much bad luck and still did OK. ...was he the one who lost a ski for awhile? i think he was without a pole as well for a km

and bummer about the ladies crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJbWIXULA6c
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: crazy rain race at TdS -- another near 30kmh ave!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:56 am

JeffOYB wrote:Rainy stage 5 15k that was more like 14.7k finished in under 30 mins. And it was a flat course! Huge pack throughout the race. Lots of crashes.

Yes, a fast and crazy race, but also quite funny to watch, like when Calle Halfvarsson made a "fall attack" on one of the Russians, and when three or four competitors skied off the course. However, many skiers were understandably upset, Sergey Ustiugov perhaps the most. A sprint competition would have been better. I don't believe Oberstdorf will arrange a Tour de Ski stage next year.

JeffOYB wrote:crazy that Tonseth had so much bad luck and still did OK. ...was he the one who lost a ski for awhile?

I believe that was Niklas Dyrhaug.

JeffOYB wrote:and bummer about the ladies crash:

Yes, it would have been interesting to see Jessica Diggins in the front group the last few hundred meters.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 am

Yeah that was a crazy race. Never seen so many incidents. Anyone could win it, but the Norwegian coach Hetland tipped both Iversen and Skar on the podium before the race which is quite something. (he had Krogh as winner and likely should have with normal form, as he was perfectly placed before the last uphill and is a very good finisher)

But respect to Cologna for getting the bonus sprint seconds. Probably won the tour on that, and likewise Ustyugov lost for the same reason.

Magnus Johansson wrote:Yes, a fast and crazy race, but also quite funny to watch, like when Calle Halfvarsson made a "fall attack" on one of the Russians

Yeah I saw that, was quite nasty..

But so many Russians involved in incidents. Ladies too. Seems Russians are generally poor going downhill.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm

What a disaster of a race. I like to think of ski racing as being mostly "fair," meaning the strongest win or at least do quite well. It seems like some strong skiers did not do well.

A question, are the Russians not well liked in the group? I sensed something extra going on during the race.

Jay

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:43 am

It was like the typical mass start where no one can get away due to snow or too easy course like here, and then the ones good at maneuvering in tight fields and strong finishers win. 2 of the 3 on the podium were tipped by the Norwegian coach so quite expected really. Yes, Ustyugov, Harvey etc are also good finishers, but not the maneuvering bit.

MN Hoser wrote:A question, are the Russians not well liked in the group? I sensed something extra going on during the race.

With the doping scandal there is sure to be bad blood in some quarters, but I didn't notice anything particular toward them except Halfvarssons 'attack'. Russians are known to fall a lot, so you might have thought they were taken down.

Return to “Races and Racing”