Spoiler Alert: Sprint Final

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Spoiler Alert: Sprint Final

Postby dcpattie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 am

Klæbo just runs up the hills. Are they waxing with glide on the ends and a super sticky (like spiderman sticky) wax pocket in the middle that will grip no matter what? I guess they're using super cold skis so during the glide phase that super sticky wax is never in contact with the snow? Only during forceful running will the ski flex to the point where the sticky wax makes contact?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Spoiler Alert: Sprint Final

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am

Interesting questions, Dave. I would also like to know what Johannes' setup is like.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 am

it seemed like several were running up and maybe also some women?

maybe it relates to steepness and is a new formula. As a hill gets steeper maybe now they like to transition like this: DP > KDP > striding > running > herringbone
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am

JeffOYB wrote:it seemed like several were running up and maybe also some women?

maybe it relates to steepness and is a new formula. As a hill gets steeper maybe now they like to transition like this: DP > KDP > striding > running > herringbone

I think it seems like Kläbo has replaced both striding and herringbone with his running technique.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 pm

JeffOYB wrote:it seemed like several were running up and maybe also some women?

During the women's final there appeared to be a subtle glide going uphill whereas the men - especially Kläbo - just charges! Its running with zero glide.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:59 am

dcpattie wrote:Klæbo just runs up the hills. Are they waxing with glide on the ends and a super sticky (like spiderman sticky) wax pocket in the middle that will grip no matter what? I guess they're using super cold skis so during the glide phase that super sticky wax is never in contact with the snow? Only during forceful running will the ski flex to the point where the sticky wax makes contact?

Yes interesting question. I believe he borrowed someone elses's ski for the 15 km in Planica eariler so they can't have been unique, but for sprint he could well do something Northug did before and take very stiff skis in order to be fast to the finish line like you say.

This could work well for the sprint, but even in the normal men's relay Klæbo had exceptionally good glide compared to the others, so maybe he is able to cope with it over longer distances too.

Return to “Races and Racing”