Poor Heart Rate Recovery After Races

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Rto_11
xcskiforum 10K

Poor Heart Rate Recovery After Races

Postby Rto_11 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi after my section skate race (we do a 5k skate race than a 5k classic race in pursuit format) I collapsed and nearly fainted. The race organizers took me in the chalet and put me on oxygen. It took 30 minutes for my heart rate to recover to 100. My resting heart rate is typically around 65 bpm. I am just wondering if this recovery rate is normal, and either way, what do you think could have caused this? I did have asthma and took a steroid prescribed to me, but stopped several years ago because it seemed to go away. I started taking albuterol which was given to me as a rescue breather and only use use it two puffs 15 minutes before races, which my coach told me to try last year, and seemed to work. I did everything I should have done that race, but had a terrible race, about 5 minutes slower than usual on that course. Please help me figure out what is going on. Thank You

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Poor Heart Rate Recovery After Races

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:52 pm

If you've followed the forum, you'll have read my whining about afib.

There are lots of heart arrhythmias and I bet that quite a few could cause fainting and a high heart rate after a race. The fainting makes me think this is serious enough that you should start consulting with (most likely) a cardiologist. really, talk to a doctor and get a referal to a cardiologist. To get good diagnosis, it's really helpful to have data. To get the data, it's really good to know what triggers your problem and then wear a holter heart rate monitor (one with leads that gives EKG type of data).

-Did you manually take your pulse after the race, and if you did, were the heart beats normally spaced (in sinus rhythm)?
-If you got a pulse with a heart rate monitor, did you wear the monitor during the race? That would be good data to present to a cardiologist.

Jay

Rto_11
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Rto_11 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm

My doctor is having me get an echocardiogram and is also sending me to the allergist. I was wearing a Heart rate moniter and have the data from it. You think I should bring it for them to look at?

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Definitely.

What was your HR during the race?
What is your normal racing HR?
How was your HR before the race and is that normal?

Was there anything unusual before the race or during the race except that you were slow?

Rto_11
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Rto_11 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

My peak heart rate during the race was 193, and usually it’s around 197-201. The weird thing was that the graph had lots of ups and downs, with a low of 134. Normally the graph is pretty consistent with a change of maybe ten beats even on the same coarse. My pre-race heart rate seemed pretty normal. The snow was pretty slow that day, but in the middle of the race I was walking up the hills, when usually I am skating much faster, I was also so tired I fell down on a downhill.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:08 pm

It's interesting that your GP is sending you to an allergist. Do you know why the GP is thinking that direction? Did you eat anything usual?

Low HR can be normal if you're tired. It takes some experience with training (with an HR monitor) to know if that seems normal, but it's not unusual if you've been training well (normal or above normal hours) and you go out for intervals and can't get your HR up. The high variability may indicate heart issues, but probably the best thing is to compare your race data to a hard training day (graphs). Lots of variability could mean the heart was not in normal rhythm. Did you sense any heart issues or feelings in your chest. If not, then the heart may not be the cause.

Recently, I was in afib for 9 days, then I had a couple normal and short training days, and then on race day, I couldn't get my HR above 135 for most of the race. I've never seen that, but I think the combination of 2 weeks of no training (except the couple of short workouts) combined with 9 days of my heart beating wacko left my system tired. I was also using beta blockers, but they didn't have any noticeable effect on the first workout after the break. I'm just saying that strange things can happen when it comes to the heart.

Rto_11
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Rto_11 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm

I think he is sending my to an alergist because they do the asthma tests and we want to see if my asthma has come back, and if it has want them to prescribe a medication possibly.

Return to “Races and Racing”