Ole-Einar Bjørndalen retires at 44

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Ole-Einar Bjørndalen retires at 44

Postby Neuro » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 am

He wanted to continue, but stopped due to a heart fibrillation issue. It was not as much a health risk as how it affects his training, like it did this Olympic season.

He stands with:

6 Overall World Cups
20 Discipline World Cups (sprint, mass start etc)
13 Olympic medals (8 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze)
44 World Championship medals (20 gold, 14 silver, 10 bronze)
95 World Cup wins (1 in XC!) and 179 podiums

According to him, the strongest victory was Olympic sprint gold in Nagano '98 where he was leading to win but the race got cancelled due to too much snow, but he came back the next day and won it anyway.

Most valued win was the sprint gold in Sochi Olympics in 2014 at age 40 (and written off), but he also rates his XC 15 km skate win as one of his greatest achievements.

What marked him out from early age was his self-motivation and eagerness to experiment with new things.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Ole-Einar Bjørndalen retires at 44

Postby trotro » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 am

I wonder if his problem has been brought on by too much training over the years ?

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 am

Seems likely. Happened to Bjørgen, Sundby, Kalla and more too.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 am

Neuro wrote:Seems likely. Happened to Bjørgen, Sundby, Kalla and more too.

or maybe a wife that is too young for him :-P

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:53 am

trotro wrote:I wonder if his problem has been brought on by too much training over the years ?

I talked with a lady who has a lot of insight into microwave radiation effects on the human body, and she said that the many heart problems among athletes the latest years are most certainly linked to microwave exposure. Radiation wise, we live in a totally different environment today than just 10 or 20 years ago. This is by far the biggest change in our environment the latest decades.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 am

Sure the young wife had something to do with, but maybe more that he was running her life and even business (she has a clothes line) as I understood it. With a new kid as well it could have been the stress factor to give several spells pre-season, but then he's had symptoms for years now.

About microwave radiation, we've all felt its effect getting 'burned' ear when using phone and we all see what happens to food in the micro cooker, but I'm still doubtful background radiation will cause real health issues.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:31 am

Neuro wrote:About microwave radiation, we've all felt its effect getting 'burned' ear when using phone and we all see what happens to food in the micro cooker, but I'm still doubtful background radiation will cause real health issues.

That depends on how strong the background radiation is. The natural background microwave radiation is below 1 pW/m2 (0.000 000 000 001 W/m2), often between 10 aW/m2 (0.000 000 000 000 000 010 W/m2) and 100 fW/m2 (0.000 000 000 000 100 W/m2). These are the levels all ground living beings and plants are developed with and can tolerate. When exposing people to unnatural levels of microwave radiation, changes in EEG readings have been observed at 10 nW/m2 (0.000 000 010 W/m2) and above, and biological damage at 3 uW/m2 (0.000 003 W/m2) and above. A common background radiation level today in a city with wireless technology (i.e. practically every city in the world) ranges between circa 10 and 1000 uW/m2, sometimes much higher.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:35 am

Darya Domracheva has retired as well, he said she "couldn't find a good balance between family life and skiing". She was taking her daughter on the circuit with her but that obviously didn't work out even with Ole-Einar's help.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/06/ ... n-belarus/

http://daryadomracheva.com/

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 am

Such a shame, but understandable. A wonderful person. Her sporting move last year of giving Hinz her pole which she broke even if it meant compromising her own race and these things are common, was just an example of the sportsman she was.

A nice summary of her career here: http://www.biathlonworld.com/news/detai ... va-retires

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Neuro wrote:Such a shame, but understandable. A wonderful person. Her sporting move last year of giving Hinz her pole which she broke even if it meant compromising her own race and these things are common, was just an example of the sportsman she was.

A nice summary of her career here: http://www.biathlonworld.com/news/detai ... va-retires

I remember her not skiing past Wierer after she lost her pole (I assume Domracheva skied over it). I recall Wierer being a bit grumpy in the post race interview, which is uncharacteristic for her.

https://youtu.be/womgF9xuEOg

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes, another example of the super cool sportsmanship of Domracheva. Her gliding skating style maybe the nicest yet seen in women's skiing anywhere.

Agree about the uncharacteristic and uncalled for grumpyness by Wierer here who is always so friendly, but pundits on TV says she is always complaining about something with her health or some issues (and I've now noticed it too), so maybe beneath the smile she has this need.

Return to “Races and Racing”