FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

User avatar
Neuro
World Cup
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Neuro » Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 am

FIS had their congress in Greece now, and instead of the expected changes with the dropping of classic sprint and skiathlon (15 km classic + 15 km skate), it was to change the relay only, taking everybody by surprise.

The purpose is to help smaller nations and the general feeling that sporting events on TV should be shortened, although one would think it would be the 50 km to be shortened first then.

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Neuro wrote:FIS had their congress in Greece now, and instead of the expected changes with the dropping of classic sprint and skiathlon (15 km classic + 15 km skate), it was to change the relay only, taking everybody by surprise.

The purpose is to help smaller nations and the general feeling that sporting events on TV should be shortened, although one would think it would be the 50 km to be shortened first then.

Are people so microwave damaged now that they can't concentrate during a 4 x 10 km relay competition but must have it shortened to 4 x 7.5 km? The trend is clear also in other sports: When table tennis had its game shortened from first to 21 points to first to 11 points the interesting and exciting game fluctuations became fewer. I miss the old 38 mm ball too. If there is one sport that needs rule changes it is football (soccer).

User avatar
Neuro
World Cup
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Neuro » Sat May 19, 2018 4:54 am

It was the 'smaller' countries voting for it so it was mostly for sporting gain with the TV format length mostly used as an excuse.

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 20, 2018 1:43 pm

I have just read that 4 x 10 km will remain: https://www.svt.se/sport/vintersport/va ... stafetten/

User avatar
dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:33 pm
Location: Nordic Virginia

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby dcpattie » Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 am

I would like to see the order flip every over Olympics, for example, in 2022 the order would be FS, FS, CL, CL.

Why can't classic skiers bring home the gold? This would be even more exciting because I think teams with strong classic skiers can bridge back even larger gaps.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu May 24, 2018 4:38 am

dcpattie wrote:I would like to see the order flip every over Olympics, for example, in 2022 the order would be FS, FS, CL, CL.

Yes, this flipping has been discussed. I would like to see it at least tested. Even FS, CL, FS, CL or any other combination would be possible.

User avatar
Neuro
World Cup
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Neuro » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:I have just read that 4 x 10 km will remain: https://www.svt.se/sport/vintersport/va ... stafetten/

How bizarre..

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Neuro wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:I have just read that 4 x 10 km will remain: https://www.svt.se/sport/vintersport/va ... stafetten/

How bizarre..

I think it is good.

User avatar
Neuro
World Cup
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: FIS shortens 4 x 10 km relay to 4 x 7.5 km

Postby Neuro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 am

For the sake of tradition maybe, but if the argument for shortening was to get more countries in the mix, that can only mean more excitement?


Return to “Races and Racing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests