Video of Petter intimidating rivals and 'pre-sprinting'?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Video of Petter intimidating rivals and 'pre-sprinting'?

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:16 pm

as we say goodbye to the Wolf, I recall a favorite race video where he catches the two lead guys a few km from the finish. i must've been a relay. or maybe a pursuit. when he caught them i recall they looked visibly nervous and deflated. then he skis w them awhile. then a quarter mile from the finish he sprints and crushes them and coasts the rest of the way in. ...he won the race from quite a ways out and they just wilted and gave up. well, he did beat them. he kind of did a reverse sprint -- did the finish line way out then just cruised in. so i recall two neat aspects of crushing in this video: him catching up and them being scared. then his reverse sprint. does anyone remember anything remotely like this? i am bad w details but that's my recollection.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Video of Petter intimidating rivals and 'pre-sprinting'?

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:07 am

Don't know if it's what you mean, but when he crossed the finish line sideways after the 2011 WC relay to win in front of the Swedish team, the Swedish TV commentators said "he might be a wolf among sheep, but here he is also a pig". :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90aCQ9imw7E

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:34 am

I'll miss the excitement he always brought to an event. Although I never cared for this post race antics. Especially the hockey-style stops right after the finish line, i.e...blocking other athletes path (I would have plowed into him!).

He'll always be remembered for the 2010 games in Vancouver and the WC in Falun. I wonder if he'll race the Worldloppet circuit? I'd imagine victories at Birkebeinerrennet and/or Vasaloppet would be a nice addition to this trophy case.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:45 am

He tried the Birken this year but was 24 minutes behind. Of course this was during training so he was not optimally prepared, but he's tried hard for 2 years to get in shape for the World Cup but seems his body is just worn out or something.

And as he was only really motivated for big championship events, I doubt he'll put in the hours for long races like Birken og Wasa. He's basically done I think. He'll be a TV pundit next I believe.

Return to “Races and Racing”