Post by JeffOYB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 am

Do they ever do it classic?

Is the waddle look good for the sport?

Not that a final mile of herringbone would be great either

possibly a lesser grade of steepness?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: steep waddle-oriented last stage?

Post by Neuro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Tour de Ski last hill you mean? Yeah it's not pretty, but satisfying to see pro skiers struggling like myself.. :D

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Post by JeffOYB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:49 am

suffering can be attractive, but ugly never will be. so does this stage fire up many spectators or help the rep of XC for being on the cool side of challenging?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Gorf
xcskiforum 10K

Post by Gorf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:34 am

To me the difficulty of Nordic skiing speaks for itself. Especially the climbs; like icing on the Nordic cake! From a personal perspective, I've always loved the reward of finishing a climb, and looking forward to the speed of the descent.

But only after the hard work of climbing the hill. I do think it's harder to run herringbone than skate, and overall, classic technique is more difficult than skating- to master anyway.

I think Nordic skiing, in all it's varieties, has so much beauty; more particularly in the fact that it is one of the hardest athletic disciplines to even begin to do, let alone master, and that's what makes it so cool! I could never call a cross country skier or cross country ski event "ugly!"

Be they a beginner, amateur or a World Cup racer, ugly is the farthest thing from my mind. Then again I say hello or wave at almost every skier I meet, as I enjoy this opportunity and want to share this with anyone else who has the good fortune to share this experience, which is one of the most delightful ways to pass our limited time here on this Earth!

That being said, it certainly beats sitting on the couch! And that's what I think when watching the climbs- I need to get my Butt off the couch and get out and ski!

You feel me?

Ad campaigns like "Just Do It" or "No Pain No Gain" come to mind, and are surely only just scratching the surface of what it takes to be a competitive Nordic skier! No?

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Post by Pat » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:01 am

I'm with you Gorf. Something about either discipline of Nordic Skiing that is contagious and makes me feel good while doing it. I also enjoyed watching the hill climb on Tour De Ski. I hadn't seen that stage before and it is OK to see elite athletes have to lay it all out just to complete the event. Makes it feel like they are part of the same club as the rest of us who have to hold onto a wall or a tree after crossing the finish line and can barely stumble forward in the finishing chute to have our numbers pulled off by the officials.

Pat