The greats share their secrets

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

The greats share their secrets

Post by Neuro » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:21 am

Two of the greatest of all time just retired with Bjørndalen and Bjørgen, and the common thread was that they from an early age and throughout were super-motivated to train and didn't need anybody to push them.

Meaning if you or your kid needs nudging and 'inspiration', the case is already lost.

Additionally, (and this I've heard from greats in other sports like ski-jumping, rally and tennis) the greats always mention the right attitude to training. Meaning training was not just humdrum 'Monday going through the motions', each session was Olympics, World Championship, deciding finals etc.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Re: The greats share their secrets

Post by dcpattie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:05 am

I've read that Bill Gates believes to be truly "world class" at anything you need to be fulling engaged in the sport/topic/field of choice between the ages of 11-17.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Re: The greats share their secrets

Post by Pat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 am

Concur with all of the comments but of course you need to have the genetic talent, be that either brains or athleticism to get there. Having said that, there was a recent article in "Trail Runner" magazine that talked about being an elite athlete. The premise being just because you may not be at the top of the heap in your sport, or making money doing it, doesn't mean you can't train like you are elite and have that mental attitude. So for all of us out there that strap it on and give it a shot -- here is to being elite (my wife doesn't agree....)

Pat