MN Governor's Cup

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

enevala
World Cup

MN Governor's Cup

Postby enevala » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:17 am

The Governor's Cup race is coming up 1 week from Saturday. I've not seen a course map or terrain profile posted for the race......I've never ski'ed the trails at Camp Ripley (done lots of other stuff there over the years....just no skiing). What's the course like? What's the general route?

I know it's not going to be flat and am expecting lots of climbing back in the biathlon area, and in the winter ops area (se corner of post just after the turn away from the river) with some open field and flats in between.

Does it compare to anything in the cities in terms of difficulty (BC Winthrop? Woodland hills? Theo?)

I hate going into these things blind.....

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:43 pm

The course starts flat until you hit the hills, then more hills, then the hills become longer and more gentle, then flats, and a gradual uphill to the finish. Good enough?

There's two challenges for me in this race.
1. It starts at 11 (as I remember) and I have to eat a second breakfast on the drive up.
2. It has some steep hills for quite a ways in the middle of the race, and more moderate hills in the second half. I seem to forget the moderate hills and really hurt during the flat 5 km or so at the end. It's a course you need to respect. I'd say it's similar to the middle section of the City of Lakes, except the trail is wider and no real crazy corners. There's one corner that I remember tests your stepping ability. It's a real nice course and has some fast downhills. The course was groomed perfect last year, but with a bunch of new snow, broke up quickly.

Jay

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Flat until it isn't.....got it! :D

There's a lot of funky terrain hidden on that corner of post, and from your description, it sounds like the race course hits pretty much all of it. :shock: It sounds like climbing ability is going to be the clincher on a good race.

Kind of a pity, as a "skier of size", climbing is not what I do best. Oh well, back to Theo for some more hill repeats....

I found one of Jay Tegeder's old race reports on the old 44k race from about 1999 over on RSN--he painted a rather grim picture (sort of miserable actually), it doesn't sound like it's going to be as bad as he describes, but from what you're saying, a fairly conservative approach would be best.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Eric

Return to “Races and Racing”