Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Great going!

I like this guy (stole the pic from Skinnyski):

:-)

Kudos to all involved, tuff folks up there (and I'm such a wuss).
Last edited by Biffbradford on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Nice job Kuan!

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:30 am

Hey uh, I didn't know we got to stand on the podium at the awards ceremony. Does 3rd in my age group get a prize?

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:31 am

Biffbradford wrote:How did the skis run?

I found out that you can't kick wax a ski when it's -15F. The kick wax doesn't come off the stick, and you can't generate enough heat to smooth out the wax. At home I put on binder and two very thin layers of Rode Special Green. At the start, I tried to apply a layer of Special Green and was able to apply a layer of Swix Polar. So I raced on essentially a layer of Special Green covered with Swix Polar.

My skis really dragged in the new snow. I'm 15 lbs heavier than when I bought the skis, so I probably shouldn't blame the wax. As the wax wore off my skis got faster, but I lost kick. By the end I couldn't kick anything...but I think that's pretty typical for a classic race.

I was in and out of the tracks all day, and skied the race alone. In certain sections, the tracks had been skied by the guys in front, and other sections they were completely drifted in. The skate track had some sections that were hard and fast, so I spent a lot of time in the skate lane.

Jay

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:36 am

Some of the corduroy in between the two sets of track was quite fast actually.

Nordicnorm
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Nordicnorm » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:02 am

Kuan,

Man you not only get a prize you get the the "horse". A Swedish Dala (sp) horse. Getting a horse is a big deal in the upper midwest. Call the race headquarters and they will send it to you. There are people who race their whole lives up here and never get a horse...

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:06 am

Oooh! Man where's my phone?

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:50 am

kuan,
Great job!!!! Get that horse!!! :!:
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Don Callander
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Don Callander » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:16 am

Kuan: Nice job!
Jay: Great time!

Definitely a tough day. I waited in the bus as long as I could so my start was slow. (last 10K's were 6:30 faster than the first 10K's) I concur with Kuan, my balance suffered as well especially when fatiqued. When I hit some of the drifted area it was like knees and nose OVER the tips.

A little frostbite on a cheek, otherwise ok.

Don

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:45 am

I was a DNF in the 35k.

Here's the breakdown--

Clothing: No real problems with clothing--I got this part right. Bottoms were mesh lined windpants w. silkweight longjohns. Top was light weight polypro shirt under fleece lined windbreaker, had a windbreaker vest over the top for added protection. Balaclava, Lobster mitts, and wool cap, with copious amounts of vasaline on the face to complete the setup. I was chilly to start, but warmed up nicely. I tried ski goggles, but had problems with my glasses fogging up so I gave up on those after about 4k.

Skis: Full fastwax baseprep, followed by 1 layer of fastwax blue, under 2 layers of white, heavily brushed and polished. I'm not sure it made a difference, actually I'm not sure that anything would have made a difference, the glide was terrible.

Course: The windblown snow on the trail had all the glide of sandpaper. There were some areas of tilled corn snow (the base from earlier in the week) that were very fast, but those areas were the exception rather than the rule. Glide in the skate lane was bad to the point where I was able to kick/stride up most of the hills, and in quite a few areas forward progress was reduced to either a shuffle or a snowshoe-like slog. Progress was a combination of V-1, slog, touring shuffle, kick and glide, a little jogging, stumbling, pretty much anything I could think of to keep moving.

I pulled out when I saw the bus at the Cty RD 3 crossing (about 15k). While I could have gone another 10k, 20 was out of the question.....I just didn't have the engine to push myself that long in those conditions, and I probably would have gotten into trouble trying to finish.

In hindsight, my best bet would have been to prep the classic skis, and stride the whole thing, I like to think I would have at least finished. Live and learn I guess.

Warman to Cty Rd 3--15-ish K, 1:20:35

Congrats to all who finished, it was a hard thing to do on a hard day.

e.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:09 am

Don't let dropping out of a race bother you. Sometimes it's not the day and in cold weather, you should get off the course if you're having trouble.

When the old Pepsi Challenge used to starting in Biwabik, then ski the Silver and a tough Gold at Giants Ridge, I made to the Ridge and just said no way. I couldn't imagine skiing both the Silver and Gold the way I felt.

It happens.

Some things about skis in cold weather. Some skis do well, other don't. First thing is to find your best pair for cold weather and start to specialize it. A cold grind, and then ski them quite a bit, particularly in the cold new snow like at Trollhaugen in Dec when it's 0 F. Sand those babies smooth (by skiing) and then keep cold wax (like Swix 4 and 6) in 'em.

Jay

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:43 am

MN Hoser wrote:It happens.

Jay

I know it was the smart thing to do....doesn't mean I have to like it tho ;) but thanks!

MN Hoser wrote:Some things about skis in cold weather. Some skis do well, other don't. First thing is to find your best pair for cold weather and start to specialize it. A cold grind, and then ski them quite a bit, particularly in the cold new snow like at Trollhaugen in Dec when it's 0 F. Sand those babies smooth (by skiing) and then keep cold wax (like Swix 4 and 6) in 'em.

Equipment is usually the last thing I look to blame, but in this case, I'm smelling something rotten, namely the factory grind on my new this season Deltas. I think I'm going to have a conversation w. Tom over at FinnSisu and see what he recommends. The Rossis have been fantastic in the warmer temp ranges, and I don't think I've ever had a ski that has run this fast in cold corn snow--but they just won't do cold powder...at all.

Regrettably I don't have much in the way of a ski quiver to specialize so I may have to "dumb down" the top end with a new grind in order to get some better low temp performance.

Eric

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Hey, it's spring clearance time. Maybe you can look for another pair, even a second tier pair so you can leave the existing pair for warmer conditions. Finn Sisu has the $50 barrel.

Jay

Don Callander
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Don Callander » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:34 pm

MN Hoser wrote:

Some things about skis in cold weather. Some skis do well, other don't. First thing is to find your best pair for cold weather and start to specialize it. A cold grind, and then ski them quite a bit, particularly in the cold new snow like at Trollhaugen in Dec when it's 0 F. Sand those babies smooth (by skiing) and then keep cold wax (like Swix 4 and 6) in 'em.

I feel like a throw back as I only own one pair for all conditions training and racing. Please can I use that as an excuse?

Don

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:16 pm

MN Hoser wrote:Hey, it's spring clearance time. Maybe you can look for another pair, even a second tier pair so you can leave the existing pair for warmer conditions. Finn Sisu has the $50 barrel.

Jay

I'll keep an eye on the barrel--last I looked, however, they only had several pairs of featherweight Carbonlite Classics. I might see if I can find something on the low end.....decisions......

Return to “Races and Racing”