Minnesota Finlandia

Postby Don Callander » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Jay:
Awesome time and place. Nice going

Don

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks Don. I had pretty good skis with HF7 and FC7. I had to wax on Thr, and prepped three pair (4, 6, and 7). The forecast suddenly changed on Fri and I saw some warm temps predicted, but I had the bases covered. On Sat, I couldn't decide which pair. The 4 felt slowest (slightly)and the 7 fastest (slightly), but the snow felt squeaky cold and the temp was about 15F. Others were glide testing and saying colder was better. Oh what the hell, go with what feels good. By the end of the race, the temps had popped to mid-20sF, so it was a good choice.

The masters had some kids mixing it up with us. I didn't like getting cut off and started bitching when two cut me off on both sides as I was climbing a hill right behind Phil. (They glided up beside me and then splayed their skis so I couldn't move.) One appologized after the race. Both ended up letting a gap form on a hill at about 20 km, and I think Jay Richards got caught behind the gap.

The course was in good shape, but doesn't get enough skiing to really set up. I'm sure the second lap for the 50 km skiers was pretty soft. We also had a few issues passing people. I got taken down on a climb at about 22 km because the the (50 km) person being passed has to not not splay their skis (and did). Also, I just about got aced out of the hole shot on the tunnel, but I knew the guy (Steve Sonneson) and yelled out "Steve," and he gave way. I guess it helps to know people.

I think of Phil as having a pretty good sprint, but Lars was pretty damn fast in the finish. I guess all those 5 and 7 km races help. It looks like Michael won the trip to Iceland, and had a minute to spare. It was close in overall points.

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Don, I see you did the 50. Nothing like having a couple Russians come in and scoop the age class awards eh? I had to leave before the awards, but I was impressed with the awards and the whole race.

Jay

Don Callander
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Don Callander » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:14 am

Jay:
I also had to wax early because of a busy travel schedule and waxed my only pair with LF 4. They fely ok during warm-up but turned into dogs quickly. It just wasn't my day physically either and I struggled early.

By the second lap it really got soft AND slower and I just hung on to finish. I had a soft age group and actually finished second. Too bad not like Mora and go three deep with age-class awards.

It took three hours after the race for my heart rate to drop below 100. Man was I toast!

But still if one can get out, race, finish and still smile it is a great day.

Don

Return to “Races and Racing”